Not the kind of 21-S Morgan you see every day

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by messydesk, May 14, 2017.

1. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Not a Thornhead, no die breaks or strong clashes. No die cracks, either. Or die wear. None. Nothing but silky fields and great detail edge to edge. It does have scribbles, for what it's worth (VAM 1BT), and they're quite sharp.

For an issue where most coins looks like mush, there are no legitimate DMPLs, and you can count the PLs on a Fun Size bag of M&Ms, this is the kind of 21-S you want.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I'm not really even a Morgan fan, but that's a real stunner.

jester3681 likes this.
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Okay, so what is the grade? PCGS MS66?

6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I wouldn't argue with 66.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

that is a sweet 21 for sure....

9. messydesk

PCGS graded it 65. Some really light contact marks here. The super early die stage also takes a little flash out of the luster that you get when the die starts accumulating flow lines, and I think you need that for 66. If you look at the 66s on CoinFacts, you'll see many with lousy detail from die erosion, but they'll have bolder cartwheels because of this. Keep in mind that 66 is the end of the line for these as far as grade is concerned at PCGS, and NGC has graded one, count 'em, one in 67.

SF didn't seem to harden the dies properly in 1921, which is why the dies eroded so fast, giving us high grade coins with crap detail despite being fully struck. Find an attractive 21-S with this kind of detail and you have a special coin for a date and mint that is typically shunworthy. Wayne Miller, in his Textbook, calls 1921-S "by far the worst of any Morgan dollar in terms of appearance."

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's the one from the recent Stack's auction, isn't it? That was a very well bought coin.

11. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff.

Actually just bought a coin from Wayne's eBay store which led me to read a few of his interviews. Which textbook are you referring to? Not finding anything searching right now.

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

13. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

That's a high quality 65, good score.

14. messydesk

Yes, it is!

Kirkuleez likes this.
  15. messydesk

The Morgan and Peace Dollar Textbook.

IBetASilverDollar likes this.
  16. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

Awesome 21-s man! Here is a picture of my scribbler I have getting a TrueView right now ;)

4E72044E-6417-4951-A2A7-73C852A85EB7.jpg

17. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

TY

Draft saved Draft deleted