Not sure which forum to post this inquiry...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Devyn5150, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Devyn5150

Devyn5150 Well-Known Member

The parent pulled this piece from her stash of collectables and has no recollection of how she came to be in possession of it.

Roman.
    Catholic Church.
    Pope X?
    Mary and Jesus.
    Medallion, smaller than a dime.

Google just bites the biscuit. I found a photo of the one side but, clicking on the website link associated with the pic brought me to maxnumismatics or something of the like but it was not in English so, I got no further. I scrolled the pages on eBay as well but alas, no luck.

Does anyone know this piece, history and it’s worth?

FC5F037F-4283-47CA-A1D5-469496F8C53F.jpeg 3B675E21-8658-474A-8D0A-04EAC7A84FBA.jpeg 65FD4486-0981-49F1-BA59-C08500C8CBE4.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Google translate...

Devyn5150 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

It is a medal from the Vatican pope Pius x was late 1950' pope, Gift shops medal

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Devyn5150 likes this.
  5. Looks like a Pope Pius X medal. Not sure of value. If silver could have bullion value if marked .999.

Devyn5150 likes this.
  6. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Based on others I see that come from this era, I would put it's value at maybe a couple bucks. But you would be competing with others also available, even if they are not exactly the same design or size. Basically these were cheap trinkets/tokens/souvenirs/gifts for people to wear while Pope Pius X was the Pontiff.
    some are being marketed at, like, 9.99, but for what it is, I think that is excessive.

Devyn5150 and Paddy54 like this.
  7. Devyn5150

Never used the function, lol, honestly, don’t even think I knew of it. Thanks.

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

9. Devyn5150

Maybe it was given out when the Pope and Pope-mobile drove down a popular street that was on my way to elementary/junior high school. I must’ve been 7 or 8 or 10. I will have to google when he came and waved.

10. Devyn5150

Not marked as I can see.

11. Devyn5150

I guess at some point I will get into the selling of some stuff, right now, still very much just learning the basics... which is not to say that if anyone went ghost white, jaw dropping insane and threw some hundred dollar bills at me for some piece I had in this moment that, I wouldn’t accept, well, that ain’t realistic. But yeah thanks for the info.

12. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Like most things from the Vatican, it's all in Latin.

Sanctus Pius X = Holy Pius X or Tenth (Saint Pius)
    Salus Populi Romani = Salvation of the Roman People
    Sancta Maria Ad Nives = Holy Mary of the Snows

There are some other letters on the reverse that I can't quite make out, but they look like they might be Greek?

This shows Pius X as a saint, so it was very likely issued after his canonization in 1954. As others have said, it's likely a Vatican souvenir.

Draft saved Draft deleted