Not sure whats up with this 1982 penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RLGluvcoins, Mar 30, 2020.

1. RLGluvcoins

RLGluvcoins Active Member

Hello everyone I hope all is well. I have self quarantined myself since they put those 40 people from the cruise ship docked in Japan home on the same air plane. I have fought cancer for 6 years this dang virus is not taking me down if I can help it. Anyway as most of you know I can't see well and my microscope broke well quit charging so now have to get another one, very upset it cost me 90.00 only had it a couple weeks.
    I need help figuring this one out, I have never seen anything like it nor have I heard of this error. Thanks ahead of time if you can help I know its not the best shape just got it in change a couple weeks ago. IMG_20200330_015428607.jpg IMG_20200330_015428607.jpg IMG_20200330_015412065.jpg IMG_20200330_015615097.jpg IMG_20200330_015401867.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

More than likely the coin is damaged more so than it is an error. Somehow a portion of its coating got stripped away and some severe verdigris has grown on the coin.

RLGluvcoins likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not eveything that looks strange or different makes it a mint error..
    1982 Copper Plated Zinc Cent with Environmental Exposure damage.

5. RLGluvcoins

Thats kinda what I was getting at. I had never heard of this yr having anything close to looking like this so I figured I would ask so I know where to categorize this coin so I can use it at a later date for comparison. I just had no clue thanks y'all. Stay safe.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like a Cent that was in water for some time. I have found hundreds just like yours when metal detecting near brackish water rivers.

Copper plated zinc cents get ruined by saltwater after long exposure. Here are some nasty looking examples from my detecting trips. I keep them to show what happens.
    20190707_162330(1).jpg

Clad coins from brackish water suffer the same fate.
    20190706_090906(1).jpg 20190706_090854(1).jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    tmoneyeagles likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Put a 1982 or later date Crappy Zincoln in the bottom of the cup holder in your car, leave it there for a few years and see what happens to it. ~ Chris

David Betts likes this.
  8. SamuelFred1

SamuelFred1 I Guess I'm Kind Of a Decent Member at This Point?

Now all that is left is to post it on Etsy and watch the money come rolling in.

RLGluvcoins likes this.
  9. RLGluvcoins

I have found quite a few like that. Some people sneak them into coin rolls they take to the bank. I've gotten a few when coin roll hunting.

10. RLGluvcoins

Lol I hate what people try to get away with on that sight. Ballzy jerks

11. RLGluvcoins

Lol I dont even waste my energy on Etsy lol

Draft saved Draft deleted