Not in any publication....just in from Album Auction

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Sep 25, 2020.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

OK, its not a pretty coin:yawn: But its RRRR

Kedah
    Sultan Rijaluddin Shah 1625-51
    Unknown Mint
    AV Kupang 0.56g. 10mm.
    obv: in Arabic/ "Sultan/ Rija'il"
    rev: in Arabic/ "Shah/ Dewa"

Only tin coinage was known from Sultans who ruled Kedah. Few coins known.... kedah-rijaluddin-1652-1651-av-kupang-6308510-XL.jpg

Stork, PaulTudor, Seba79 and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I placed a few bids with Album as well. Keeping my
    fingers crossed.

panzerman likes this.
  4. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I can't imagine how rare this piece is. You always delight us with beautiful pieces.

panzerman likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's the kind of stuff that rewrites the books, so for me anyway it was always a pleasure to run across one. I imagine it is for you too :) But here's the thing about unlisted coins, they're only unlisted until they aren't anymore. And once somebody finds one, and "list" it someplace like this forum - wellllll, they start popping up out of the woodwork ;)

I think it was in 2003 while I was browsing the various upcoming auctions for ducats that I ran across this one that nobody knew what it was, it was catalogued as being unlisted, anywhere. Nobody had ever seen one before. Rather obviously however somebody had seen them - the previous owners, whoever they were.

1782 oms ducat.jpg

It was however recognized by the auction company, and obviously by me, as being a match for the scarce but known gold ducat just like it. So I bid on it and won. And once I did I posted it here.

Now I don't recall how long it was exactly without digging into my records, but it wasn't that long, maybe a year, that I ran across another one in another auction. Bid on and won that one too.

1782 oms ducat obv b.jpg 1782 oms ducat rev b.jpg

And then not long after that one of my friends and students, he ran across another, it's posted somewhere in these pages too.

Over the years I heard or read about another one popping up here and there. Like this one that was slabbed, and had been assigned a KM number by then.

1782 pattern ducat.jpg

And while to the best of my knowledge I don't know if anyone has ever found definitive proof of it in mint records, it is generally assumed that these coins were either test strikes or patterns for the gold ducat of the same date and mint. I don't know how many are known to exist today but I'm thinking it's still less than 10.

But that's how the unlisted becomes listed, and it's always fun to play a part in that ;)

panzerman, PaulTudor and tibor like this.
  6. tibor

I won the three lots that I bid on!!:):):):smuggrin:

panzerman and PaulTudor like this.
  7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Congratulations:)
    Now, we are all anxious to see your new treasures!

8. tibor

[​IMG]
    This is the coin. The other two were lots. I've owned three of these over the
    years. It's a (14)56 uniface pfennig. The "5" is on the left, looks a little like
    a modern "7". Then going from top, right and left you have "F R I" The
    "6" is on the right. This is a nice example, usually either the 5 or the 6
    is missing. I feel I got for a bargain price. Dealers picture.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    PaulTudor and panzerman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted