Not exactly a "Woody"!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Alex G, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Alex G

Alex G New Member

I found a coin I kept calling a woody, and was looking to sell it, but I'm not sure if it can be called a woody, given all the swirls within the image. I am very much interested in selling it, but have no idea who might be interested in such a different looking coin. Any one with any idea where I might be able to sell this coin. It really is beautiful... as you can see. 20180208_164935~3[1].jpg Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The diagonal streaks are plating imperfections, and the swirls are stains from something. Neither is going to make the coin worth more than face value. Sorry.

Stevearino and paddyman98 like this.
  4. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Start a "face value but cool" box. They are fun and obviously cheap. :)

LA_Geezer and Stevearino like this.
  5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's kind of neat-looking.

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Looks like a "Sharpie", rather than a "Woodie".

Stevearino likes this.
  7. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I have never seen a woody dated after 1982. Is it even possible with the post 1982 composition of a Lincoln Cent?

Stevearino and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Babyjay511

Babyjay511 New Member

i actually have a few "woodies" heres a couple of them. whats the possible value of these if anyone knows

Attached Files:

LA_Geezer likes this.
  9. Babyjay511

Babyjay511 New Member

And what exactly is going on with this coin it seems to have a bad case of the pox.

Attached Files:

10. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

That's a bad case of zinc rot. Send it before it completely rots away!

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No
    Pre 1982 Cents are Copper. The woody issue is caused by an Improperly Mixed Alloy. Post 1983 Cents are Copper plated Zinc Cents.. But I know you know this ;)

Paddy54, MontCollector and Stevearino like this.
  12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Your coin has environmental damage. Post 1982 cents are copper plated and would not have the alloying problems that are generally attributed to "woodies"

In addition, there are many ways for environmental damage to look like an improperly mixed alloy. Just because a cent has streaks in it, doesn't automatically make it a "woody"

Finally, unless they are very visually striking, improperly mixed alloys don't usually add much extra value to a coin, and in some cases, may actually reduce the value.

That being said, go ahead and save/collect woodies if you like them, just don't expect to get rich selling them

13. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

All along I thought I might be looking at a '34 wagon. :depressed:

charlietig and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

I’m a Lincoln guy and I say that coin is pretty cool. If I saw it at a show or shop I’d give up to $.50 for it! I name all my stained coins when they look like something and I’d name this one “mushroom cloud Abe”
    Reed and Sparkles the Unicorn.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  15. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

You might find an interested party, but "would he" buy it for a significant premium? Knot! :smuggrin::cool::rolleyes:

charlietig and LA_Geezer like this.
  16. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought you meant the car... silly me. Had a few Fords in my lifetime, but never a Lincoln. ;)

Alex G likes this.
  17. Bud1 Wilson

Bud1 Wilson Well-Known Member

These people know much more than I..but I do know that to me at least it is pretty and I would put it in a case and display it on something where it could be seen.:sorry: REAL NICE

Alex G and LA_Geezer like this.
  18. Alex G

Alex G New Member

Thank You for your help!

19. Alex G

Alex G New Member

It really is beautiful. In fact, one of the most beautiful coins I've ever seen in my entire life... and I'm over sixty! Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted