Not another Nemausus Crocodile coin!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Mar 9, 2016.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I usually only post my coins after they've arrived, but I'll go ahead and post this CNG Wednesday win as a tip of the hat to @stevex6 . I already have a fairly nice Nemausus croc, but one is seldom enough with these coins, and Steve by stepping back from a coin he also had his eye on, allowed me to score it for a modest hammer of $140. Thanks to @TIF as well for keeping two dogs from fighting over one bone :D.

The coin shows a fair amount of wear and surface roughness, but is almost perfectly centered on one side and about 80% on the other, so just about all the devices are intact. If that were not enough to make it a keeper, this rare variant has the abbreviated city name spelled COL-NIM rather than COL-NEM!

If you aren't by now completely and totally bored with these coins, feel free to comment or throw in your own croc coins!

[​IMG]

AUGUSTUS, WITH AGRIPPA
    AE As
    11.98g, 25mm
    GAUL, Nemasus, circa 20-10 BC
    RIC I 156 (R)
    O: IMP/DIVI.F., head of Agrippa left, wearing combined rostral crown and laurel wreath, bare head of Augustus right.
    R: COL-NIM, crocodile right chained to palm frond with its tip to right; two wreaths above, palm fronds below.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I didn't even know a COL NIM variant existed. What'll they think of next?

zumbly likes this.
  4. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I love this type! You got a really nice example. Congrats!

zumbly likes this.
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is a great croc.

zumbly likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

another nice croc Z! these have been near the top of my least for overa year. i was shopping for one of these recently and just could find one that was right for the amount i had to spend. i was even looking for a nice half of one.

zumbly likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That's a wonderful, well detailed coin Z. I wonder about the horn on the snout?

panzerman and zumbly like this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:penguin:

Just jokes, Z-Bro ... it was my pleasure to step-aside and let you swipe this croc without an ugly auction dog-fight (you're a great guy, so I'm sure that you'll stay clear the next time we clash, eh?)

It is a great coin and super-interesting with the ancient typo (very cool)

Oh, and it has an "extra" portion of snout!! (sadly, my coin is snout-less)

augustus ax.jpg augustus bx.jpg

9. zumbly

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Yes, I really like the 'horn'! Some examples of the earlier issues display this feature quite prominently, or have several high ridges along the length of the upper jaw. I put it down to artistic license. Doug showed one of these latter ones recently in this thread:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/return-of-the-croc-another-nemausis-dupondius.274893/#post-2350741

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I would post mine...but I don't have one.

Ancientnoob and zumbly like this.
  11. zumbly

Someone needs to buy a coin :D.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

13. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Excellent score, Zumbly!! The blundered legend makes it even better.

Hallelujah, I finally found the "right" upgrade for my COL-NEM :) :) :)

It arrived yesterday after a somewhat shorter than usual trek from Europe.

Not wanting to spend four figures on a fantastic example-- which are few and far between anyway-- like most of us I had to set priorities. My priorities: well-centered reverse with all elements present and prominently visible chain. Except for slight loss of the croc's snout, this coin fit the bill nicely and I was very happy with the price.

Nomos-COL-NEM-RT.jpg
    Augustus & Agrippa
    Gaul, Nemausus, c. 10 BCE - CE 10
    AE dupondius
    Obv: IMP/DIVI; heads of Agrippa to left, wearing combined rostral crown and laurel wreath, and of Augustus to right, wearing oak wreath, back to back
    Rev: COL-NEM; long, vertical palm with crocodile chained below, wreath to left of palm tip with ties trailing to right; two palm fronds below
    Ref: RIC 158; AMC 425; Cohen 10; RPC 524

The auction listed the provenance as "From the collection of a Man of the Cloth, now giving up the pursuit; acquired in the 1990s." Hmm. Is the man giving up priesthood or is he giving up coin collecting? :D

As for date of issue, I copied the auction attribution. It's not the earliest type-- Zumbly's example with the more cartoonish crocodile is the earliest type. It's not the lastest type-- those have P P on the obverse. Coins similar to mine in CNG's archives show various dates: "9/8 - 3 BCE", "9 - 3 BCE", and " 10 BCE - CE 10". I can't discern a pattern of differences and don't know the source of dating.

There is some pitting but no powdery green. I have it soaking in Verdicare and will check it frequently for development of bronze disease.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  15. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

great crocs gang, ya' did good Z! :D

zumbly likes this.
  16. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Those are some awesome crocs! Way to go!

I'll never get tired of seeing them.

Erin

17. zumbly

Wow, @TIF , much nicer than the auction pictures! Great pick up... a Man of the Cloth's loss is your gain :D.

I think Doug has pointed out before, but it's worth illustrating the fact that on some of these later issues, the loss of the croc's snout is not for lack of centering... the crocs simply did not have a snout when the engraver ran out of space, as some actually off-center examples like the one below (not mine) show:

[​IMG]

Mikey Zee, panzerman, JBGood and 8 others like this.
  18. Ancientnoob

<- The only guy without one of these.

19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I need to reshoot mine. Looking at it again in-hand, it is brown. I'm having trouble getting colors correct. Everything ends up greenish. Time for some camera settings tests!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  20. Ancientnoob

BTW- Its over the top. Love it.

TIF likes this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have a fondness for the early period style with the scrawny croc. The unicorn snout and NIM certainly make this one interesting. Zumbly mentioned my latest which I bought for the ligate NE and the appearance that the croc teeth go up from the top jaw (strange).
    gi0025fd3041.jpg

Early coins with th scrawny croc have the bare headed portrait of Augustus who is laureate on later coins. Agrippa always wears the Rostral crown but strike and centering do not always show it well. TIF's coin is particularly nice in this regard. Zumbly's new coin is also a bit unusual to my eye in that it is an early with decent chain. I only own one other early whole coin and it lacks chain just like my new one but my early half does show it.
    gi0030bb0474.jpg gi0040bb2251.jpg
    If a person wanted to be compulsive, I suppose one might feel the need to have a large number of these varieties. Its time for me to quit buying them lest someone accused me of a dysfunction. The fact is that these developed gradually despite the efforts of people like me to force them into distinct groups (early, middle, late).

Mikey Zee, panzerman, JBGood and 10 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted