Featured Not ancient: Wire coins of Peter I - I couldn't collect just one

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Sep 27, 2014.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The lowest priced coin I got at the Fredericksburg show was a wire kopeck of Peter I of Russia. Oddly, within a week before I won another on eBay (for twice the price!) which arrived while I was at the show. The two make an interesting comparison of an issue where the dies were well over twice the size of the flans.
    0bb3165.jpg 0bb3166.jpg
    To make the point of the dies being large, the image below shows the two reverses overlapping showing parts of six lines of legend. Perhaps if I had access to enough of these, I could piece together the rest of each line but this gives the idea. This site did it in ten coins:
    http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/peterwiremoney/peterwiremoney.htm

While I find several coins which are year dated by the seller (1696-1717), I do not understand the system used. My second one was listed as 1699 (?). Finding coins with the date clear and the horseman on flan will take some luck. Can anyone provide a link that details the dating system?
    2pwire.jpg
    The last image is a coin I have had for a while that would seem to add little since its tiny flan shows so little of the central part but it is interesting to me in the form of the T (in ETP) with drooping tails that is not like what we usually expect of a T. All three of these coins weigh a hair under 0.3g demonstrating the accuracy that could be achieved by cutting lengths of wire from a spool of known gauge. The last coin is twice as thick as the other two compensating for the smaller diameter.
    v00570bb2605.jpg

Post your Peter wires.

Bella4575, maximk1, vlaha and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

wow, those are very cool ... I've never seen those before (fascinating)

The Calgary Coin link is very cool (those crafty Canadians, eh?)

=> So far Doug, I've liked all 4 of your new coins (please keep 'em comin')

Cheers

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

5. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

I have just one and have posted it before. Doug, I think it was you who pointed me to the CalgaryCoin site when I did. The graph paper in my photos is 1/4" squares.

1699_russia_wire_obv2.jpg 1699_russia_wire_rev.jpg

Rob

vlaha, chrsmat71 and stevex6 like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a nice one, Rob. It shows more of the reverse lower right than mine and is dated. The seller I saw at Fredericksburg had several of these but most were really terribly centered on the obverse. I guess if you collect these you have to get over wanting heads on your horses and riders.

stevex6 likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice, love the overlap pic. i need a peter i, but i am going to get an other ivan iv...but want one that has the portion of the legend mine is missing.

i hope you don't mind if i invite ivan iv to the wire party..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vlaha and stevex6 like this.
  9. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Cool beans Doug, I don't recall having seen your wire coins before (although I remember them being mentioned).

I love the photo overlay! Keep up the good work. :)

10. chrsmat71

the day DS started this thread i bid on a small wire money lot and won. i picked up the missing portion of my ivan iv coin above, and got this "chunk" of a peter i.

[​IMG]

Tsar Peter I Alekseevich
    AR wire kopek
    1682-1721
    (i'm guessing on the date, the date would be shown below the horse...you can see portion of it on the some of the coins above. the reverse reads " "Tsar and Grand Prince Peter Alekseevich of Entire Russia". according to wikipedia, he held that title during these dates).
    10x7 mm
    0.3 g

here's mine pretty well matched up with DS's first coin..

peter1combined.JPG

here's the basic full set up...

[​IMG]

interesting page on wire money..

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/russian_coins_peter_i.shtml

DS...look at this page for specific dating details..

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/convert_cyrillic_date_julian.shtml

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    stevex6 and John Anthony like this.
  11. chrsmat71

here's my new ivan iv with a more full reverse legend,but more worn (or weakly struck).

"КНSЬ / ВЕЛIК / IВАN" ("Grand Prince Ivan").

[​IMG]

ivan iv
    ar wire denga
    1535-1547
    moscow mint
    10x13 mm
    0.5g

stevex6 likes this.
  12. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

What is a wire coin exactly?

13. chrsmat71

they took a chunk of metal wire and cut it to weight, then hammered it in the old school way.

stevex6 likes this.
  14. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

thanks chrsmat! I feel kinda stupid now :(

stevex6 likes this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

... don't worry too much, for I didn't know either => we're both stupid

;)

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I collect Russian coins, but mostly 19th and early 20th century. Somewhere along the way I did pick up a small hoard of these wire pieces that I paid what seemed like a ridiculously low amount for. And in a box they have sat, for about a decade now.

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

If you study Russian history, you know that Peter was very interested in bringing old Russia into the modern age. This is shown well with his ending those little 'ancient' looking wires and replacing them with a large series of modern types made on modern machines.

18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Peter the Great by Robert Massie is a novelized history - a fantastic read though.

Draft saved Draft deleted