Not an aureus but still an Eid Mar

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Oct 29, 2020.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Having just received one of my latest purchases (and after waiting for Roma to resolve their technical difficulties), I finally have a chance to post a thread.

I'm very happy to share my upgraded Eid Mar denarius. I was able to view it in London prior to all of the lockdowns which gave me enough comfort to place the bid but it was still a surprise upon receiving it: lot-viewing usually takes place beneath incandescent light bulbs rather than natural sunlight - it ended up looking like an entirely different coin in-hand in natural light (in a good way, fortunately!)

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to own another of the type (they're not particularly rare, just expensive) but the stars aligned and I'm very happy to add this example:

EidMarSmaller.jpg

The ANS posted a video this week which does a great job outlining the history and is well worth a watch:

On the Ides of March, 44 BC, in the House of the Senate, Julius Caesar was murdered, dramatically changing the course of Western history.

The “Eid Mar” denarius was minted by the assassin himself, Marcus Junius Brutus, to commemorate the date. It marked the final chapter of the Roman Republic, leading to its replacement by an empire which lasted for nearly 1500 years and whose influence and legacy shapes our world today. Had Caesar not been killed, the ramifications would have likely resulted in a dramatically different history of the modern world.

It is the only Roman coin which mentions a specific date (EID MAR) and loudly proclaims that the tyrant Julius Caesar is dead and that the deed was done in the name of liberty, as Brutus considered his assassination of Caesar to be an act of patriotism.

This was so remarkable that it became one of the few coin types to be mentioned by a contemporary historian. The ancient scholar Dio Cassius spoke of it in his History of Rome: “Brutus stamped upon the coins which were being minted his own likeness and a cap and two daggers, indicating by this and by the inscription that he and Cassius had liberated the fatherland.” (XLVII.25)

Post your favorite coins of Brutus, Cassius, and Julius Caesar

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Wow! Let me be the first cointalker to congratulate you! This is an iconic purchase! I am afraid I don't have an example of my own to post... :dead:

I might get a Julius Caesar in the future if I can find one for the right price :cat:

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

What is the value of this coin ? I know it is expensive.

5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats Joe, beautifull patina on your Eid Mar denarius,great picture too.

My only Julius Caesar denarius:

P1230084 aaa (7) best.jpg

galba68, 7Calbrey, Edessa and 16 others like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My finest is still a fourree.
    ra8650bb0392.jpg

7Calbrey, galba68, Edessa and 18 others like this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Congrats again, AJ. An incredible score that, unsurprisingly, looks even better in your own photos.

RR - Brutus - Libertas Holed Ex Kelly 2986.jpg ROMAN REPUBLIC. Q. Servilius Caepio Brutus (M. Junius Brutus).
    AR Denarius. Holed. 3.58g, 20.8mm. Rome mint, 54 BC. Crawford 433/1; Sydenham 906. O: Head of Libertas right; LIBERTAS behind. R: The consul L. Junius Brutus walking left between two lictors, each carrying fasces over shoulder, preceded by an accensus; BRVTVS in exergue.
    Ex Michael Kelly Collection

And the victim...

Julius Caesar - New 2017.jpg JULIUS CAESAR
    AR Denarius. 3.77g, 19mm. Rome mint, struck by L. Aemilius Buca, February - March 44 BC. Crawford 480/8; Sydenham 1061; RCV 1411. O: CAESAR DICT PERPETVO , wreathed head of Caesar facing right. R: L BVCA , Venus standing left, holding Victory and a sceptre.
    Ex David Sellwood Collection; ex Seaby Coin & Medal Bulletin (1 Oct 1977), lot 793

8. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a beautiful and historical coin, I am green with envy :wideyed: My most related coin is my lifetime issue of Julius Caesar, issued just a few months before his murder:
    Julius Caesar.jpg

7Calbrey, galba68, Edessa and 19 others like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congratulations, @AncientJoe on your wonderful Historic acquisition! Beautiful coin!

CASSIUS

[​IMG]
    GAIUS CASSIUS LONGINUS & PUBLIUS CORNELIUS LENTULUS SPINTHER
    Proconsul and Imperator
    AR silver Denarius.
    Struck circa 42 BC, at a mobile military mint moving with Brutus & Cassius, probably located in Smyrna.
    C CASSI IMP LEIBERTAS, veiled & draped bust of Libertas right.
    Rev: - LENTVLVS SPINT, jug & lituus.
    18mm, 3.3g.
    Craw 550-5, Sydenham 1305. Sear, Imperators 223. Cohen 6 (4 Fr.)
    Ex: Incitis

BRUTUS

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic 54 BCE
    AR Denarius, 18.3mm, 3.7g
    Moneyer: Marcus Iunius Brutus (aka Quintus Servillius Caepio Brutus)
    Obv: Bare hd of L. Iunius Brutus (Consul 509 BCE), Bearded r, BRVTVS behind
    Rev: Bare hd of C. Servilius Ahala (Master of the Horse 439 BCE), bearded r, AHALA behind
    Ref: Sear 398, Crawford 433/2,
    from collection W. Esty CKXSUB 613

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Only Julius Caesar here: Julius Caesar 2.jpg Julius Caesar 7 a.jpg

7Calbrey, galba68, Edessa and 19 others like this.
  11. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

That's a great win, and great for you that you were able to add this type to your collection (again)! Thank you for sharing. Lovely photo's as well, they really make the coin come alive, so to say.

Brutus:
    0.6.png

Cassius:
    0.10.png

JC:
    0.4.png

12. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Wow! Congratulations!

AncientJoe likes this.
  13. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Spectacular, looks even better in your photos. Congrats on another incredible addition to your collection!

AncientJoe likes this.
  14. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

That is one stunning coin - congratulations again on the win, and thanks for sharing it! (I think the toning makes it look better than an aureus)

DonnaML and AncientJoe like this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Congratulations on adding such a spectacular coin to your world-class collection! It is certainly in the top tier of known Eidies!

My only JCs are elephant denarii and not particularly remarkable examples. Here's one, a "the engraver had never seen a real elephant" variety and boy does it need a reshoot :D:

[​IMG]

A more visually interesting Julius Caesar is from not "the" JC but an ancestor:

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic
    moneyer L. Julius L. f. Caesar, 103 BC

AR denarius, 17mm, 3.9 gm
    Obv: Helmeted head of Mars left; CAESAR; ・C (retrograde)
    Rev: Venus Genetrix in chariot left, drawn by two Cupids; lyre to left; ・C (retrograde) above
    Ref: Crawford 320/1
    ex RBW Collection

[​IMG]

galba68, Edessa, Cucumbor and 26 others like this.
  16. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Congratulations! A wonderful coin for a great collector. This will be tough to beat!

AncientJoe and ominus1 like this.
  17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wonderful coin and one of the better ones I have seen. Congrats.

Was a struggle to get this one I am glad to get.

[​IMG]
    Julius Caesar (February-March 44 B.C)
    AR Denarius
    O: Wreathed head of Caesar right; CAESAR downward to right, DICT PERPETVO upward to left.
    R:Venus Victrix standing left, holding Victory in outstretched right hand and vertical scepter in left; L • BVC[A] downwards to right. L. Aemilius Buca, moneyer.
    Rome Mint
    3.92g
    17mm
    Crawford 480/8; Alföldi Type XIV, 62–3, 67, and 69 (A13/R22); CRI 105; Sydenham 1061; RSC 23; RBW 1683.

galba68, Edessa, Cucumbor and 15 others like this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

JULIUS CAESAR

Struck within 2 weeks of his execution by the Senate

[​IMG]
    Roman Imperatorial Era
    Julius Caesar Lifetime
    P Sepullius Macer AR Den
    1st 2 weeks-Mar 44 BCE 4.03g.
    CAESAR – DICT PERPETVO Veiled -
    Venus Victory sceptre star
    Syd 1074a Sear Imperators 107e Cr 480-14

galba68, Edessa, Cucumbor and 20 others like this.
  19. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

M. Junius Brutus Ar Denarius P. Costa Legate 42 BC Obv. Head of Apollo right laureate. Rv Trophy of arms. Crawford 506/2 CRI 209 Military mint in Greece 3.77 grms 17 mm Photo by W. Hansen 506-d.JPG

galba68, Edessa, Cucumbor and 16 others like this.
  20. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Congratulations @AncientJoe. I thought you were mad to get rid of your old one, but this is definitely an upgrade.

galba68, AncientJoe and Alegandron like this.
  21. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coin @AncientJoe - actually a Caesar and a Brutus are on my list of desired future acquisitions. Though I don't generally collect coins of the Republic (I do have an Antony, though) I find the historical parallels with our present age intriguing.

Numinaut and AncientJoe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted