Not again!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by recoinect, May 5, 2016.

1. recoinect

recoinect Member

At times I wonder why I got back into coin collecting? I have many coins at home that are nice, they're O.K....but, the coins I really enjoy looking at are locked up in my safety deposit box where it takes a real effort to appreciate them. What's up with that?

Santinidollar and jester3681 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Same here. Part of the price we pay for living in this modern era.

recoinect likes this.
  4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Why I have a safe at home so I can look at mine anytime I want.

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

That's what high-quality digital images are for. That can get you through until you can take the time to visit the real coins at the SDB. :)

*wolf7* and recoinect like this.
  6. Paul M.

What kind of safe?

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I hear that if ya stare at em too much, they'll develop "wear" spots!

Kentucky, green18, dwhiz and 5 others like this.
  8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

This big old Victorian monster that weighs about 1000 lbs I'm tempted to convert the closet in my office into a big built in gun safe too. As I also have a lot of guns too

Garlicus and ThinnPikkins like this.
  9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Or turn into a 55 Double Die's. :wideyed:

Stevearino likes this.
  10. Paul M.

I'd tape two 55's to my glasses if I thought I could turn them into 55 DDOs. :p

Kentucky, Stevearino and TJ1952 like this.
  11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Most of my coins are currently in a vault at Blanchard while I was moving, but they'll be coming home pretty soon once the safe is in place.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

I have 2 Meilink safes that are almost full so will be looking for another soon and I can look at my coins anytime I want.

13. gibsport

gibsport Active Member

I went the Safety deposit box route for years, couldn't take it anymore! i broke down and got a safe and am much happier. I can work on or look at my collection anytime I want now. It's already full so my advice is buy the next size up from what you think you need!

Garlicus, green18 and Stevearino like this.
  14. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

A safe seems like the way to go if you want immediate access to your collection. I don't have an enormous collection, but anything of enough value continues to sit in a bank vault that I visit maybe once or twice a year. Any hobby that involves accumulating things of value probably has the same issues. It could be worse, you could collect cars. Try finding bank vaults for that.

15. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I live in Englewood, IL. I don't trust the banks in the hood.

S20160506_003.jpg

*wolf7* likes this.
  16. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I was shocked to learn that Sentry-type safes are hazardous to silver/copper/bronze because of the moisture in the fire-resistant material. It was folks on CT that alerted me to this. How about the large gun safes that are also advertised as fire-resistant? Any recommendations from you folks that have successfully used a home safe over the long term?

Steve

*wolf7* likes this.
  17. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

I have a very large commercial type sentry safe that is not fire proof. this might be ok. It is carpeted wall to wall and has a lot of room in it.

Stevearino likes this.
  18. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Do you have specifics?
    I have some Sentry safes I bought in the early 1990s that are fire & water resistant.
    And I've been looking at a new, larger one too. So I might have to revise what I'm looking at with that information.

19. New Windsor Bill

I will get back to you.

20. New Windsor Bill

21. New Windsor Bill

Draft saved Draft deleted