Not a pretty coin ... but it is Gordian II

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Brian Bucklan, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

We all have those coins that aren't very pretty, but for some reason or another you just had to buy them. This was one of mine.

Gordian II Africanus Ae Sestertius:
    Obv: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AFR AVG; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: VIRTVS AVGG; Virtus standing left, holding spear and resting against shield; S C across field
    Gordian II VIRTVS AVGG.jpg
    When I first did some research on it I found out that Gordian I and Gordian II issued this exact same type, complete with the same design and both obverse and reverse inscriptions. I then found this note on another example:

"The distinguishing feature between coins of Gordian I and Gordian II (since the
    obverse legends are the same on the coinage of both emperors) is that the latter has
    a receding hair line and is always portrayed bald in front of his laurel wreath"

I'm not sure how the hairlines of the two emperors would be absolutely known but even with the worn bust style I think you can see the bald spot in front on this one, so I guess it's the latter.

I have this urge to clean it now, but I think I'll just leave it alone.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I have coins that demand that I get rid of them...they can be very vindictive...& jealous! :D I have not ceded to their wishes! ;)

Do you think that if they knew that in the future there would be a Hair Club for Men, it would have affected their portraiture? :smuggrin::smuggrin::jawdrop:

I threaten them with cleaning to keep them in line...:eek::cool:

Gary R. Wilson and Brian Bucklan like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Looks pretty good for a low grade example. Just having Gordie I and II would be great. I need both to close out my coins of that tumultuous year (238).

Brian Bucklan likes this.
  5. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

If the coin were mine I would strip it, in the expectation of bringing out a lot more detail!

6. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Congratulations and welcome to the club! Your coin is not ugly at all. It is perfectly identifiable and one of only around 200 known Sestertii of Gordian II. His are actually even rarer than those of Gordian I.

Unlike on their Denarii, both rulers issued the same six reverse types on Sestertii, but interestingly (and unmentioned by RIC, Cohen, BMCRE and Sear) each type was only regularly struck by one of them (ROMAE AERTERNAE and VIRTVS AVGG by Gordian II (with 58 and 31 specimens respectively listed by Banti), VICTORIA AVGG, SECVRITAS AVGG, PROVIDENTIA AVGG and PM TR P COS PP by Gordian I (46, 35, 33 and 12 specimens in Banti), while each of these types is a great rarity for the other emperor (only 1 - 5 specimens of each known to Banti).

As many of their Sestertii are so worn that no hair is left even on Gordian I´s head, even many renowned auction houses are frequently misattributing Sestertii of Gordian I for Gordian II and vice versa. According to my die study, the only safe distinction can be made from the shape of the head (plumber with higher forehead for Gordian II) and especially the mouth (slightly protruding upper lip for Gordian I and lower lip for Gordian II.
    Your coin is certainly Gordian II.

7. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

Your assignment of the sestertius rev. types to one emperor or the other on the basis of the specimen counts in Banti is nicely confirmed by the Guelma hoard, which contained these sestertii:

Gordian I: P M TR P COS P P (1), PROVIDENTIA AVGG (2), SECVRITAS AVGG (1), VICTORIA AVGG (1)

Gordian II: ROMAE AETERNAE (3), VIRTVS AVGG (1).

So the hoard contained sestertii of all six of the normal type combinations, but of none of the rare combinations!

8. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Not me. Every time I try to clean a bronze coin it ends up worse than I started.

I really appreciate this. I was hoping that someone could confirm that it was in fact Gordian II as it wasn't that particularly evident based solely on a receding hairline.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That may be the case but it is not the only consideration. The coin may be prettier as it is but removing the encrustations may reveal detail like the lips. Whatever you do the coin will be ugly. The question not answered is whether there is data under there. I might put that coin in a coin purse with a bunch of modern pocket change and carry it around for six months. It might ruin it; it might smooth things out. Once done there is no going back. The coin has a lot of legend. I would hate to lose that legend but I have made worse mistakes.

Brian Bucklan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted