Not a favorite, but interesting coin...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by marchal steel, Oct 30, 2020.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

now those are great pics!....:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

you forgot the bright light over the top/off to the side but close enough lol

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

If you swing a sledgehammer all day and you probably don't need a gym membership.

That is not my image but I have seen in on more than one site. I do not know who made it. I believe I recall that die was found in France. Very few genuine dies exist.
    http://muzeydeneg.ru/eng/?p=665

The new photo tells a lot more. It even shows the tendency of brockage incuses to be spread larger than the original die. When something is squished with a sledgehammer, it gets bigger.

I am on the lookout for a coin that I believe was stuck in the reverse die and created a brockage. I would expect it to be broadly spread but flattened or unsharp on the obverse but strong on the reverse. My best candidate so far is the Septimius Severus below but separating a brockage-mother from a worn die might be hard. I very well may be the only collector in the world who cares about this question but that is OK. There are enough unanswered questions that we each can pick the ones we prefer.
    rg2840bb0698.JPG

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Bing and Curtisimo like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Much better photo!

Curtisimo likes this.
  6. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Very cool coin and much better photo. Sometimes it’s nice to view the coin photos side by side. I was playing around with your new photos on a new app I recently downloaded on my phone and came up with the below.
    092B2256-A80D-44DF-9A08-0A0095F8ECF3.jpeg

Great coin. I’ve been wanting to add a brockage to my collection but haven’t found that one that speaks to me yet.

Edessa, +VGO.DVCKS and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted