Not a fan of "MONSTER TONING!!!111" but...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Atarian, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Obviously everyone sees a toned coin once in a while, sometimes on e-Bay referred to as "MONSTER TONING". I prefer mine to be (in e-Bay lingo) "BLAST WHITE!!!111" as I collect mainly Morgans and Ikes. I've gotten into the Spanish colonial 8 Reales and for once I like the toning (or, if you prefer "MONSTER TONING !!!") on this one.

This is way out of my price range, but your thoughts on the coin are appreciated - i.e. how it got to be this way, do you find it attractive, do you find the toning to be authentic looking, do you think the toning adds any value, and any other comments.

I present to you the awesome-est looking 8 Reales I've seen, and I'm not a toning fan!:

[​IMG]

KurtS, Paddy54, eddiespin and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Wow!! Now that is some vibrant color on the 8 reale. I would be proud to own a coin like that.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I seriously doubt someone would have baked that in a potato in the oven prior to grading. Looks nice!

I also like cats! But I cant eat a whole one.

coinman1234 likes this.
  5. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

There is no such as "awesome-est" my good man. :stop: :D
    Fantastic toning btw.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice!

7. Atarian

Me too! I can't either. However I do admit I haven't tried, and prefer them in their natural furry form. Un-eaten.

8. Atarian

What dictionary are you using? It's right after "awesome-er"... Sheesh. You must be from Oklahoma where the dictionaries are less best-er than the ones we have here. We have the best-est, you know.

9. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

That is beautiful and has amazing toning; very jealous! :)

10. Atarian

That thing is friggin' awesome. Now, me needs to figure out the best-est :) way to purchase said item...

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That is a very attractive coin. Old-time coins like this (especially in good grades, like this one) usually spent large portions of their lives in old-time collections. These collectors often stored their coins in velvet trays, or paper envelopes. Both of these storage methods tended to impart toning to the coins, consistent with this very original look. This is a fantastic coin.

12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I've seen a few nicely toned ones, but nothing like that one. Dare I ask what they are asking for it?

jello likes this.
  13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

He does not seem to be from Oklahoma, but I am. I think you might be surprised how many people out here know the dictionaries "best-er" than you.

jello likes this.
  14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Us from the sout two. Y'all be sayin dat we ain't smardt and it hurts us fellin.

15. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Atarian,
    That pillar dollar is "MONSTER TONED" indeed and would more than likely be the centerpiece of many a collection. I am a big fan of toning even though I don't own many coins in a high enough grade that they stand out like that pillar when toned. My own preferences for toned pieces are those that have portaiture or animals where the curves of the surfaces compliment the toning. That said, whomever ends up with that piece will be entitled to walk with a bit of swagger.

16. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Thank you, as a non fan of toning, for posting this awesome pic of a nicely and vibrantly toned reales. There is something about those rainbow colors that to me, and many others, makes the coin so much more admired and treasured. No insult to BLAST WHITE lovers...as I am one too, but I will take Toned anything over not toned. JMHO.

17. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Maybe someone will start an "outrageously awesome" toned thread...

18. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

19. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I like coins like I like women: I just know when I see it that I like it. Sure, this coin is pretty, but I don't collect them mostly because I can't afford to. And when I look at all the coins I can't afford, no matter what it is, I almost view them like a non-collector. In other words, I might appreciate the eye candy for 5 seconds, but then I just forget about it. That's my take on this one

Draft saved Draft deleted