Not a Coin- Empty Cup- Kantharos

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

While on my numismatic journey, I returned to Italy in hopes of finding wonderful silver coins. There were numerous beautiful coins to choose from in Magna Graecia.. While paroozing the the sites, I realized the party was going fierce and at the end of my stay all I walked away with, was this empty wine cup...

I first spotted this Kantharos when it was being offered by Joe Mastrario of Imperator Coins and realized the piece had been consigned from the collection of Mavros (Nick) Tavros. I thought to myself hey Nick and I, we have been buddies on Facebook for a couple of years, so I contacted him and he was able to get me a very good deal on the piece.

The cup, made familiar to us from the coins of ancient Greece and Italy was the symbol of wine and party. This piece is considered Canosan white ware. The cup was made in the Canosan style in Apulia from (BC 500-323). It features a highly detailed Anthemion painted in Red Ochre. The pigment "ochre" is Hematite Iron Oxide mixed with minerals and clay in various concentrations to produce different colors originating from yellow. Ochre comes from th Greek word Ochros meaning Yellow. The pigment is often referred to as Mars red. The Anthemion is a common boarder and architectural design found through out the Greco-Roman world, it finds it origins deep in the antiquity of Ancient Egypt.
    [​IMG]

Anthemion

[​IMG]

This kantharos is authentic and in unrestored original condition, what more could one ask for from a 2500 year old used item.

2015-08-01 17.24.01.jpg

2015-08-01 17.24.51.jpg

2015-08-01 17.26.50.jpg

2015-08-01 17.24.15.jpg

2015-08-01 17.25.15.jpg

The piece also has a very noticeable sweet smell, the scent of flowers.

Magna Graecia
    Italy, Apulia
    Kantharos (c. BC 500-323)
    Height: 11.2 cms
    Width: 8.0 cms
    Weight: 157 grams
    Note: Small chip on base foot. Unrestored, complete. Painted in the classical style.
    Prov. ex. Joe Mastrario (Imperator Antiques and Coins, ex. Mavros (Nick) Tavros collection, ex. Old British collection, UK.

I know a few of you out there "mess" with artifacts and pots if you have anything to add I would appreciate it. @John Anthony - You mentioned you had some bedtime reading on the subject, what did you retain?

Alegandron, chrsmat71, Bing and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Your superb new non-coin pickup seems to call for a toast! I don't have an ancient cup to share, but I offer you my Grace-ful party girls of Marcianopolis to help with the celebratory arrangements, along with an old Roman adage about how many people ought to be invited to a party - 'no fewer than the Graces, no more than the Muses' :).

[​IMG]

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Wonderful Kantharos.

Reminds me of a coin I saw somewhere......
    IMG_5734.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  5. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

I think you deserve some beavers!( and an Alien)
    :beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver::beaver::blackalien:
    Very nice AN, very nice indeed.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very cool!! I don't have any ancient Greek artifacts, just a few Taino Indian things.

Alegandron and Ancientnoob like this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Well my bedtime reading consisted of a tract on amphoras rather than cups, so I don't have anything important to add. It's a super artifact, congratulations! I've been looking at acquiring some ancient artifacts myself - I just don't feel I've done enough research yet.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  8. @Ancientnoob Throw some coins in there, then take a picture. Make it coin related. ha.

I look at HJB's and ACR's artifact auctions often; though every time I consider spending 1k on a Greek pot, I always see a stater I want more.

Oh, and my weight adjusted amphora:
    Boeotian Stater.png

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Alegandron, zumbly, chrsmat71 and 6 others like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Very cool, Noob ... I don't have any ancient artifacts (*sigh*)

=> 11 cm x 8 cm is quite small (it must be about the size of a neat lil' wine-glass, eh?) ... pretty sweet

Here is anything that kinda looks like a wine jug and/or glass ... cheers, Noob!!

Thessaly larissa Horse & Larissa with Hydria b.jpg Boe1.jpg Calabria Tarentum b.jpg griffin a.jpg Ionia Shrimp b.jpg Sicily Selinos a.jpg Thessaly Lamia Amphora b.jpg

cheers.gif

Alegandron, zumbly, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  10. Ancientnoob

It appears the child sippy cup was modeled on this cup type. The taper and the handles allow for copious splashing without spillage, easy for one handed use.

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

BOEOTIA.jpg
    BOEOTIA FEDERAL COINAGE
    AR Hemidrachm
    OBVERSE: Boeotian shield
    REVERSE: Kantheros, club of Herakles above, BO to left, I and crescent to right
    Struck at Thespiae mint 336-315 BC
    1.9g, 14mm
    SNG Copenhagen 176-177

Alegandron, zumbly, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Neat. What sort of permits did you need to get this out of Italy?

13. Ancientnoob

Ha didn't really go to Italy, I meant a numismatic journey. I am not sure if there are permits to take antiques out of Italy. I believe its a no no no matter what now today. This was from a private collection in Canada and sold in the US. The piece that had been acquired from an old private collection in the UK some 25 yrs ago or so.

14. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Whoops... I missed the provenance at the bottom of the post. :)

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i thought the same thing...we used to be well stocked on those modern plastic kantharos drink dispenser/carpet savers.

[​IMG]

chug a lug!

that's a pretty interesting not coin AN!

Alegandron, Ancientnoob and stevex6 like this.
  16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's really impressive. But I have to ask: are you going to have at least one drink from it? I'm not sure I'd be able to resist...

17. Ancientnoob

Ha,ha, Negative my friend. I don't think I want anyone drinking "Around" the cup.

18. Ancientnoob

Thanks Chris, Yea this is the cup you would need if you were riding a dolphin or something.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted