Featured NORMANS IN SICILY: Peaceful Coexistence

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by PMONNEY, Jan 4, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That would be 0.93 g.

I like this one, too, but it's more expensive. Seems nicely struck and toned, but then there's that scrape, and the top of the cross is off the flan...

Both of these are out of my reach unless and until I sell something else.

(Side note on the second link: I notice Marc Breitsprecher has dropped the "Ancient Imports" store name and is selling under his own name now.)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

This is a helpful thread to me. Although these are not within my primary focus group I do have four examples. If anyone could offer attribution input I'd surely and sincerely be MUCH obliged.

The tari = 13 mm & 1.25 gr. Spahr_66 per seller, but...???
    The larger of the 2 half-follaro = 16 mm & 1.28 gr. I think it's Spahr_80.
    The smaller of the 2 half-follaro = 9 mm & .81 gr. Also Spahr_80 I think.
    The follaro = 26.5 mm & 11.74 gr. Seller didn't include attribution cite.

4. lordmarcovan

Oh, man! That tari has an awesome look! I want one like that.

5. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

Thanks! I like it, too. And I acquired it for a very reasonable price. $280 in 2014 from Gert Boersema. I was highly pleased. :-D

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Oh, good news, then. I'll keep looking.

7. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

That tari is a very nicely struck coin, with the IC XC, Koine Greek for JS CHS, Jesus Christ very clear. I have read somewhere that the other side in Arabic, is in a blundered Kufic script and may not actually mean anything at all. Roger himself was a Norman more used to the Roman alphabet (if literate) but his subjects on the island still were not far removed from Byzantine administration (using Greek) and had been dealing with Arab invasions for centuries. I like to see this coinage as hedging one's bets.

Pellinore likes this.
  8. Archydeos

Archydeos New Member

Hi , everyone

i'm Arthur , i'm newbie in here....

Can everyone tell be how to get norman coins? is free to buy?

Thanks anyway

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Welcome

10. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Ikm not sure anything is ever free to buy, but Norman coins can be found in many places. Major auction houses occasionally have then (like CNG or Agora). Vcoins or MA-Shops are other good places to look.

11. cindy lou

cindy lou New Member

can someone please tell me how to post to community please

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood!

If you mean how do you start your own thread, click on "Forums" and select the forum in which you want to start your thread, then click on the blue box at the top right to start your thread. Enter the title and start typing the content. Note: The Poll at the bottom is just an option, but if you click on it, you must complete it. There is no backtracking.

Chris

13. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

@Pellinore,
    I see that there are hardcover and softcover editions of Modern European Coinage 14 priced at $533.23 and $88.00, respectively. Are you aware of the differences between the two editions (such as color photos)? There is a tremendous difference in price between the two editions. The hardcover edition was released in 1999; whereas, the softcover was released in 2009. Both are 1st Ed.

14. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Picked up this poor ducale that was neglected after its sibling went for above 800EUR in the last auction. Since I was severely overbid on its sibling, I picked up this one instead...

Normans in Sicily: Roger II (1130-1154) AR Ducale, Palermo (Spahr 72; MEC 212; Biaggi 1770)

Obv: + IC • XC • RG • IN AE TRN (Jesus Christus regnat in aeternum); Bust of Christ facing, wearing nimbus cruciger, pallium and colobium, and raising right hand in benediction; in left hand, book of Gospels
    Rev: King Roger and his son Roger, duke of Apulia, staff with cross at each end between them, beneath the king R RX SCLS (Rogerius Rex Siciliae), beneath the duke, R • D X • AP (Rogerius Dux Apuliae) and AN R X (Anno decimo del regno) between them

[​IMG]

Its superior sibling was this one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  15. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

This old Roger I coin seems pretty plentiful. (Mine.)

Magical Snap - 2016.03.09 19.24 - 083.jpg

Johndakerftw, Alegandron and TheRed like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

I am happy to report that I have checked another off my list. Thank y'all for the inspiration.

I received this William I tari today from Nomos AG in Zurich. It was Lot 603 in their recent Obolos 10 auction. This was my first international auction win (excluding eBay).

Could've gone for several that were better struck and/or on rounder flans, but this is the one that spoke to me. I really like the contrast imparted by the earthen patina. I also like William I's "Guglielmo il Malo" (William the Bad) nickname because it's colorful, if perhaps undeserved.

BdZ5v7F9QW26A0nYZ6ZZ_Guglielmo I.jpg

17. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted