NORFED Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tim Sweet, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Tim Sweet

Tim Sweet Member

Does anyone collected these? Other than silver content any value?
    [​IMG]

Thanks
    Tim
    some info:

The American Liberty Dollar (ALD) was a private currency produced in the United States.

The currency was issued in minted metal rounds (similar to coins), gold and silver certificates and electronic currency (eLD). ALD certificates are "warehouse receipts" for real gold and silver owned by the bearer. According to court documents there were about 250,000 holders of Liberty Dollar certificates.[1] The metal was warehoused at Sunshine Minting in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho,

JickyD and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

No value other than spot and most places who buy will pay a couple of dollars below spot. Meaning they will pay more for American Silver Eagle Coins. I used to collect them plenty before and after the arrest of Bernard von Nothaus, after his arrest and sentencing interest in his coin designs waned. Not too many people collect them anymore except new collectors I guess. :D

Tim Sweet and PlanoSteve like this.
  4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Not intentionally. I suppose, because of the notoriety, I might acquire one if it slapped me in the face, but otherwise no. ;)

Although the artistry appears very well done, I don't like the androgynous aspect of Liberty (plus, I don't know what the reverse looks like!) :jawdrop::eek::cigar:

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I agree, Bernard is a pot smoking character who wanted to replace US coins with his. Maybe I didn't say that right, if so someone will correct me. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_von_NotHaus

PlanoSteve likes this.
  6. Tim Sweet

Tim Sweet Member

I think one of his goals was to get away from fiat currency and have something backed by precious metals. They did platinum, gold, silver and copper. The court case is interesting. Most were minted by Sunshine Mint - which does some ok work and is still producing rounds and bars.
    This was bought into by Ron Paul (the Dad) when he ran for President....Ron Paul Dollar

http://www.libertydollar.org/ld/ronpauldollar

There are different reverse images...Here's one for their 10th year in business.
    [​IMG]

Paul M., Hookman and fretboard like this.
  7. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I have a $10 coin that I acquired in 2011 for....$10.00 !
    I was working retail, a customer presented the coin to pay with. The cashier didn't know it and called a manager. The manager didn't know the coin, but seeing some of the same things on the coin [Lady Liberty, a version of In God We Trust (Trust In God), a Torch, etc.] she assumed, wrongly, that this was just a U.S. coin she was unfamiliar with.(It was these similarities that got NotHaus charged with counterfeiting.) The manager allowed the customer to use the coin for her purchase. The next day the store manager freaked when he saw the coin because he knew better. He didn't want to have to explain to the upper brass how one of his managers took a counterfeit coin as legal tender.
    When I saw the coin, I didn't know anything about NORFED, but I could certainly read "ONE OUNCE 999 FINE SILVER". I offered to swap a $10 bill for the coin.
    At the time (2011) Silver was $32.00 an ounce. So I got my $10 back with a $22 profit. I checked eBay and those were selling for about $64.00 each back then.
    I still have the coin, but, as we all know, silver is a mere $15.00 +/- per nowadays.
    The coin value has dropped also, though they are still sold on eBay for more than melt.
    I'm still ahead on my cost, and I have an interesting tale to tell. So it's all good.

dwhiz, Mainebill, markr and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hookman

I just checked eBay. These are averaging 2 to 3 times melt, or more.

Rassi likes this.
  9. Hookman

BTW, after I got mine, I did a lot of research on them, and @Tim Sweet has the story of them pretty well covered.

10. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

The Norfed paper bills command a nice premium. The interesting thing is that they dont even have the PM value.

Hookman likes this.
  11. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

What's NORFED?

Everyone will know 1 day (not just coin collectors - right?).

----------------
    Id Est; I used the term 'app', on a computer forum 17-18 years ago, and a wiseguy asked what's an 'app'.

I knew that one day, everyone, including non-techie types, would know what an 'app' is. But even as a coin collector (AND A PICTURE CLUE), I'm wondering what NORFED is???

Hookman likes this.
  12. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

I used to have quite a few of these; they were a currency in use at places like PorcFest, and I accumulated some as curiosities or for small-scale transactions. I assumed the paper bills were worthless now. I may even have thrown them out.

Hookman likes this.
  13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Never knew of these prior to this post. I am with @PlanoSteve and am rather intrigued by the artistry. I think the US mint should pursue this artist/engraver.

Hookman likes this.
  14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I haven’t heard anything from Bernard von nuthouse in a long time. Actually thought he had some good ideas though maybe he should have spent less time stoned

15. Hookman

If I'm not mistaken, NORFED stands for the " National Organization for the Reform of the FEDeral reserve ".

Take the capital letters I've shown and they spell NORFED.

It all ties into the belief that the Federal Reserve System is a scam started by a group of bankers who met in secret on Jekyll Island in 1913 (?) to develop a way to control all forms of wealth in America.
    It's a lot more involved than that one sentence but that is the gist of it.
    NORFED, started by Bernard Von Nothaus, wanted to replace fiat currency with coins made of precious metals, and paper "warehouse receipts" backed by precious metals stored in several warehouses. When the Federal government arrested BVN, they also seized billions of dollars of gold, silver, and copper bullion stored in those warehouses and also at the Sunshine Mint. I believe the mint, or one of them , was in Idaho and another in Hawaii.
    Tim Sweet posted some links. You could follow them and read up, or just google the names and read up.

The coins are very well done, and made of real PM. The warehouse receipts are also very artful, though it's not likely that they are "backed" by anything any longer.

I have not kept up with the NORFED story.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'm still not sure what an "app" is.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  17. Hookman

I think you're only kidding but.... an app is an application. If you add a type of service to say, your cell phone, it's called an app. Maybe it's the eBay mobile app, or it's the Siri voice control app. It usually refers to things added to your cell phone or computer.
    We've always had the word application, modern techies have shortened it to app.

nuMRmatist likes this.
  18. Hookman

I see what you did there !!

Robert Ransom likes this.
  19. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Old school they called them computer programs. Modern computing lingo calls them applications or apps for short.

Hookman likes this.
  20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't have a smart phone so I really don't understand "app".

21. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

They are most commonly used in the context of a smart phone yes; however if you have a photo editor on your desk top computer, for example, that is known as an "app" as well. It's just a computer software program.

Draft saved Draft deleted