Nordic Hoard Sweden Gold 10 Kronor

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by man2004, Jul 20, 2018.

1. man2004

man2004 Active Member

Is anyone familiar with the pedigree "Nordic Hoard" on NGC slabs? I read somewhere that Nordic Hoard gold coins (Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, etc) were stashed from the Nazis years ago. I was planning to bid on a Sweden 10 Kronor (NGC MS65) with this pedigree. But, I could not find any other similar coins for sale. Ungraded "BU" 10 Kronors are for sale for around $225-$230 (APMEX, etc). Does this pedigree add significant value and collectability in MS65 Sweden Kronors?

ominus1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

My search shows multiple outlets selling "Nordic Hoard" gold coins. Their description concurs with what you found. Doesn't look like they carry much of a premium.

4. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I couldn’t find any online. Everything I saw was “out of stock”. There are some Norway coins on eBay. But, I couldn’t find any 1901 Sweden 10K coins for sale.

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I think if you certify enough coins, or pay a premium, you can get any descriptor you want on your slabs. No guarantee these were from the Nazis. Everyone was hoarding gold at that time from the Nazis.

6. man2004

man2004 Active Member

Good point! What a rip off!

7. oyvnorth

oyvnorth New Member

The story of these is not that they were ripped from the nazis but the nazis didn’t get to rip them from bank of Norway.
    Just hours after Germany attacked Norway, a group of people managed to transfer the gold from bank of Norway onto boats and then smuggled them to Great Britain.
    More info here: http://www.annassecretlegacynovel.com/gold_escape.html
    This gold hoard was sold from the bank in 1988 to a Norwegian coin dealer.
    It contained 100484 pcs of Nordic gold coins.
    The lot was divided between 3 investors and stayed in their hands until around 2008-2010 when one of the investors sold his lot to Samlerhuset in Norway.
    By coincidence the two other investors sold their parts to the same company shortly after.
    Why this “title” has been added to the slab, I don’t know.
    I know with certainty that it’s not the Samlerhuset company that asked for this.
    Slabbing is not attractive to Norwegian collectors and 99% of the Norwegian collectors break the slabs with a hammer and slab inside a towel.
    There’s been some interest in slabbing more recently but a serious collector in Norway won’t have his coins slabbed.
    So why this text is printed I don’t know.
    Funny story about a slabbing is the sale of Norway’s most expensive coin sold on auction in USA. After the sale the auctioneer was of course marketing the record in online media.
    And they told that the NGC slabbing was one of the main factors for the record being reached.
    Truth is that the buyer slashed the slab as soon as he got the coin

8. oyvnorth

oyvnorth New Member

I forgot to mention that coins from the “Nordic hoard” have no premium compared to those not.
    95-98% of all existing coins in the market comes from the Nordic Hoard.
    But it is guaranteed one of the coins from the escape in 1940.
    So for the history interested it has a extra value I would say but it’s not monetary

Draft saved Draft deleted