Non-Coin: Help with Script Type?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by JoIke, Feb 10, 2021.

1. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

Good day everyone,

Can you all please help me ID the type of "script" on this thick and heavy silver bracelet?

My thoughts were 'Runes' given the 'Hooked-X' & 'Hourglass-shaped' symbol, but don't believe that's correct. Also, not sure if I have them pictured in the correct orientation. Can you all please help?

Thanks in advance for your time!

IMG_8848-001.jpg
    IMG_8849-001.jpg
    IMG_8850-001.jpg IMG_8851-001.jpg

Chris B likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

They don't look like any real-world script with which I am familiar.
    Not Germanic runes, which are a bit simpler.
    Not Glagolitic script.
    The Vai script has a similar level of complexity, but the characters don't match at all.

I'm going to go with very likely just made-up artistic designs.

JoIke likes this.
  4. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

I appreciate your reply and thoughts.....especially, for providing me with another avenue to explore/research (Vai). Hadn't thought of traveling through African scripts.

The one thing I can't accept (with all due respect) is the characters being of a made-up artistic design of the maker. My gut just tells me these are "legit script" of some type, but haven't located who/where. I mean..... I know at least 2 of the 6 are actual characters/symbols used in many different cultures. Why would the artist/maker use 2 legit symbols, but the others, he/she just decided to invent? Just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm referring to the "Hooked-X & Hourglass with Line". In Runes I believe it's (Hooked-X) a, Jumis and the link below shows the Hourglass with Line or Double-Triangle Symbol used in many cultures.

Link: https://hillerdrygoods.com/blogs/news/the-leone-blanket-story

IMG_8850-002.jpg
    JUMIS 001.png

The Eidolon likes this.
  5. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Well, it will certainly be interesting to see if you are right. I'd love to learn what
    script they are from if they are from if it's from a real writing system. It's pretty much
    impossible for someone to rule out that they could be from a less-known real
    script somewhere. But I've learned a little about synthetic scripts as a hobby,
    and they don't ring a bell with me.

Have you tried Unicode character recognition?
    Here's one site where you can draw a glyph and it will match it
    with multiple Unicode alphabets/scripts.
    It doesn't work with Chinese/Japanese characters, but there are other
    places where you can do character recognition for those, such as MBDG.
    Anyway, your symbols aren't Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Khitan/Mongolian/Jurchen/Manchu.
    I tried a sloppy hiragana "あ" (a) as a test and it worked great.
    Tried some of the symbols on your bracelet with no promising hits so far.
    Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 4.21.05 PM.png

Draft saved Draft deleted