Non-Coin: Help with Inscription Type(s)?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by JoIke, Aug 16, 2020.

1. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

Good morning everyone,

Below are 2 items I've owned for quite some time and have not for the life of me been able to ID the origin of the script they are written in, ......can you all please help? You all have been so great in ID'ing the last 2 non-coin thread items I posted, was just hoping you can do the same again? If this thread is an improper inquiry and should not be posted on these are boards, I totally understand and I'd appreciate if the moderator can please delete it.

The first item is small, painted and made of solid iron. I'm not exactly sure what's the use or function of the piece, but the relief appears to be some sort of script or script letter?

The second item is an antique bronze seal fob and is inscribed with an unknown script or script letters? (last photo, in purple, is the seal's image pressed in clay in reverse).

(I'm not sure if either item is photographed in its correct orientation?)

Thank you all in advance once again for your time and thoughts.

UK001.jpg
    UK002.jpg
    UK003.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

They ars sealing wax stamps.
    Used to seal documents with a wax seal,and the scrip is most probably the person initial....or symbol of that person.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Neither appear to be coins so possibly @lordmarcovan who is online could move this to General Discussion. I am hazarding a guess as being letter sealers. But I'm probably way off and it would be interesting to find out what their purpose really is. Interesting nonetheless.

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sorry @Paddy54 , we just crossed over each other. But glad I might be on track.

6. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

Thank you both for your replies. Yes, I understand at least the 2nd imaged item is a wax seal, but what I was hoping for is someone to please help ID the 'script' or the origin of the script (Hebrew, Arabic, Sanskirt, etc.). And yes, if there's a General Discussion here in these boards, I'd would love for this thread to be relocated. I do not in any way want to clog this board with non-coin related threads. Again, thank you both for your thoughts and replies.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I was online but not on the CoinTalk site. I think the OP is more likely to find someone who can help with the script either here or on the World Coins forum. As such, I have no objection to it being here. It might get lost in General Discussion (but then again, it might get a more general audience, so you never know).

If the author or anyone else still wants it moved, use the "report" button and I'll do so.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

@lordmarcovan

If you can please relocate this thread to the suggested World Coins forum, it'll be most appreciated. I hadn't thought of that forum in which to place this thread, as I only lurk and/or come to this particular forum since becoming a member. My sincere apologies to any and all for my non-coin related inquires.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Moved to World Coins.

10. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

The trident-shaped looks a little like a Greek Psi Ψ or a Hindi अ (a).
    It it pretty stylized, so it's hard to tell. For the round seal, the right letter
    looks a bit like a capital Xi (Ξ) upside-down. I can't make out the other sign at all.
    It also resembles a Chinese/Japanese number 3 (三) but the proportions and stroke
    style do not look East Asian to me.

manny9655 and lordmarcovan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted