Non-Coin: Help with Arabic Inscription

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JoIke, Dec 28, 2020.

1. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

Hi everyone,

My apologies for once again submitting an inquire seeking info on a non-coin related item. You all were so kind, knowledgeable and helpful with identifying my prior 2 non-coin related ancient objects, hopefully someone will be open to help?

Can someone please help me translate the Arabic inscription incised on the bezels of this massive and heavy "ancient" silver signet ring? Also, has any of you ever seen a ring such as this made in this style/form? It's almost in the form of an ancient torc and I have not been able to find another example like it in my research.

Unfortunately, the former owner(s) may have not known this ring was/is "ancient" and proceeded to spit-shine it to a mirror like luster :rage:

Thank you all in advance for your time and help!

(P.S. my apologies for the poor images, the best I have for right now)
    IMG_8297-001.jpg
    IMG_8308-001.jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Well, now that's interesting.

I haven't the faintest idea, unfortunately.

JoIke likes this.
  4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Nice chunk of silver, unique for sure! Why the unusual design, why the Turkish Ottoman look? I'm thinking it's either a modern piece made in the Brutalist style or it's from Turkish Ottoman royalty! Nice but I can't help you much! :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    JoIke and 7Calbrey like this.
  5. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

The inscription is in Ottoman Tughra style (a calligraphic ornamental signature). You will need to have a much better picture then this to have a chance for someone being able to read this.

6. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

Thank you all for your replies and thoughts. I'll look into the Ottoman Tughra and see what, if anything I can find. Unfortunately, I don't have the piece in-hand as of yet and will post better, detailed images of the script once I do.

While surfing the web today, I found this...

Link: http://www.antiques.com/classified/...rd-century-A-D--legionary-Soldier-Silver-Ring

The style/shape/form of the ring is near identical to my piece, less the Arabic inscriptions. What do you all think?

7. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

@THCoins Hopefully, the close-up images below will or can help aid with a probable translation?

IMG_8343-002.jpg
    IMG_8344-001.jpg
    IMG_8345-001.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted