Nomos win today

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kazuma78, Nov 21, 2020.

1. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Just won this piece at Nomos. Wasn't a type I was looking for but I like the fallen horseman design and I don't collect Roman at this point, so I thought this would be a good substitute. The video makes it look really nice so I am really looking forward to getting it in hand. I'll try to get the video uploaded, but I'm pretty technologically unsavvy.

20201121_113919.jpg

KINGS OF PAEONIA. Patraos, Circa 335-315 BC. Tetradrachm (Silver, 24 mm, 12.82 g, 4 h). Laureate head of Apollo to right. Rev. Π-[Ο]-ΡΤΑΥ Paeonian horseman, wearing crested helmet and full armor, galloping to right and spearing fallen Macedonian soldier. Paeonian Hoard I, 461. Paeonian Hoard II, 194. SNG ANS 1040 (same obverse die). Boldly struck, toned and attractive. Extremely fine.

From the Aletheia Collection, acquired prior to 2005.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

A fantastic example of a fantastic type, congrats!

Carl Wilmont and kazuma78 like this.
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I bid on this one as well. Congrats on a great coin.

I got shut out on all my bids today.

kazuma78 likes this.
  5. kazuma78

I paid more for it than I wanted, but its a nice coin and will be in my collection a long time.

I would have bid on the larissa drachm too if there had been the lettering on the flan above the horse.

Curtisimo likes this.
  6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I'm currently following the auction, and that one standed out at some point. Congrats !

Q

kazuma78 likes this.
  7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I thought the Larissa was a very nice piece as well.

I went pretty aggressively after the Velia Nomos, Lot 51 which I've been looking for the right example of for a while but ultimately got left in the dust. There was some pretty strong bidding today. I haven't seriously bid in an auction since late last year. Ah well... here is to hoping for a more productive 2021!

Ryro and kazuma78 like this.
  8. kazuma78

That was a nice coin too. Ive been after a good Velia piece as well but prices have been really strong this year. I guess patience is the key when looking for great examples of popular types.

Curtisimo likes this.
  9. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Very beautiful coin! Thanks for sharing.

kazuma78 likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Gorgeous coin, @kazuma78 ... very nice pick up. That will be beautiful in hand.

kazuma78 likes this.
  11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for this phrase (or one similar), we would all have much lesser collections! :happy:;):D Nice specimen...good thing you ran into it! :smuggrin:

kazuma78 likes this.
  12. kazuma78

Absolutely. Anymore I find freestyle collecting allows you to find more pieces you really like and also better deals more often. When I get set on 1 or 2 types I inevitably get skunked on them consistently. Also, its allowed me to make money flipping overlooked pieces in some auctions. I really like being flexible in that way. Actually for the first time in a long time, I even see a U.S. piece I may bid on in December. We will see though.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  13. FrizzyAntoine

FrizzyAntoine Well-Known Member

Congrats, that's a lovely example of the type! I really wanted lot 31, but missed it by a hair. It wasn't a waste of time however, as I managed to get my other main target for the night right at my max (lot 56). Funnily enough, I was hoping to add 143 as well if it slipped through the cracks, but that definitely didn't happen!:)

kazuma78 likes this.
  14. kazuma78

Both of the lots you bid on are quite nice. I was watching 56 but didn't have it on my list of pieces to bid on. Congrats on the win, its a beauty. There were some pretty nice lots today.

FrizzyAntoine likes this.
  15. FrizzyAntoine

FrizzyAntoine Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's definitely shooting right near the top of my top 10 list for the year.

I loved the focus on greek coinage with Nomos today in general, I think I had almost a dozen backups because they had so much amazing stuff. Thankfully didn't need to bid on any of them though.

kazuma78 likes this.
  16. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Here's my win. I was going for lot 266, an unlisted Ptolemy III from Aenus, but that went a bit too high for me so I went for the next lot.

upload_2020-11-21_13-26-0.png

Description
    PTOLEMAIC KINGS OF EGYPT. Ptolemy IV Philopator, 225-205 BC. Tetradrachm (Silver, 25.5 mm, 13.80 g, 12 h), Askalon, year Δ = 4 = 219/8. Jugate busts right of Serapis, laureate, bearded and draped, and Isis, crowned, diademed and draped. Rev. ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ Eagle with closed wings standing on thunderbolt to left, his head turned back to right, with cornucopiae at his shoulder; in field to left, AΣ; date LΔ on the right field. Landvatter 103 (same dies). Lorber 941. An attractive piece of good style, toned as found. Extremely fine.

- Broucheion

eparch, zumbly, Carl Wilmont and 8 others like this.
  17. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

Very nice details, you don't see this often in this type!

I don't think you can upload a video here its 30mb or more. Damn, I didn't even notice they had videos in their website I won a coin I did not expect to win and just got to see the video now...

From what I could hear from the audiostream, in the greek part there was no single bidder buying everything which is a big change. I think the auction had some coins that sold reasonably or even low and I had the sense at least for not extraordinary coins that there was no calling station in the other side pressing the button endlessly.

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Patraos is very nice. Most of these lose part of the victim and few have both full victim and full legend. Mine is not so bad on the reverse but my obverse is terrible. I wanted full legend and these with no problems on either side go for very big numbers.
    g30745bb2830.jpg

19. kazuma78

There have been a few in the past couple years that were perfectly centered and they weren't too crazy in price. This one is almost complete with a little crest of the rider missing and pieces of the letters on the top of the reverse missing. For how attractive it is though, I didnt mind making an exception for just that little missing bit.

20. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

There were many spectacular coins in the Nomos auction.
    Excellent wins @Broucheion and @kazuma78
    I too was a winner :)

[​IMG]

KINGS OF THRACE. Lysimachos, 305-281 BC.Tetradrachm (Silver, 27.5 mm, 16.82 g, 11 h), Lampsakos, 297/6-282/1. Diademed head of Alexander the Great to right with horn of Ammon over his ear. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΛΥΣΙΜΑΧΟΥ Athena seated to left on throne, leaning her left elbow on her shield and holding Nike, crowning the king's name, in her right hand; behind, transverse spear with point below left; to left, torch with flame to left; on throne, eight-pointed star. Thompson 43. A lovely piece with an elegant portrait of Alexander; nicely toned. Nearly extremely fine.

From the collection of W. Belser, Zürich, prior to 1965, and that of his son, acquired in the early 1970s.

zumbly, kazuma78, Bing and 3 others like this.
  21. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Congrats on a fine coin!:D I went 0-4/ lost out on another MS "elephant" Philip II:(
    John

kazuma78 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted