Nomos win Marcus Aurelius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I am very excited. I have wanted to add a denarius of Marcus Aurelius to my collection for 2 1/2 years. I have been patiently waiting for the "right" one. I wanted one in at least vf condition, I wanted a strong portrait, and I wanted an interesting reverse. I believe this one ticks all the boxes for me. I also like the fact that it is a part of a pedigreed collection. It also seems to be quite scarce. I found 1 on CNG, and 4 on Acsearch.

I love the reverse on this coin. It reminds me very much of my Titus Judea Capta denarius with trophy and captive. I had no idea M. Aurelius issued this type of reverse. Of course in this case it is a German captive. It makes me wonder if Marcus Aurelius was referring back to Flavian times with this reverse. Marcus Aurelius is a fascinating historical figure for me. I very much enjoyed his "Meditations", and he played a major role in his time. When I saw this coin I knew I had to have it.

Please post your coins of Marcus Aurelius.

Marcus Aurelius, 161-180. Denarius (Silver, 19 mm, 3.31 g, 6 h), Rome, 173. M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVII Laureate head of Marcus Aurelius to right. Rev. IMP VI COS III German captive seated left at foot of a trophy. Cohen 300. RIC 280. Well centered and attractively toned. Nearly extremely fine.
    From the collection of W. F. Stoecklin, Amriswil, Switzerland, acquired prior to 1975.
    Obolos 9 by Nomos. March 25, 2018

M Aurelius ric 280.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats a beauty, love the reverse.

Orfew likes this.
  4. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Congratulations, Orfew!

Orfew likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice job Andrew! Great looking coin from a great Emperor...

This was the very first coin I purchased from @John Anthony ... even carried it around in my wallet, so it had the opportunity to be around the world a few times...
    RI Aurelius Marcus 161-180 AE Sestertius S-C.jpg
    RI Aurelius Marcus 161-180 AE Sestertius S-C

I retired it to the Albums, and decided to get a Denarius from Frank Robinson last year:
    RI MARCUS AURELIUS AR Den as Caesar TR POT VI COS II - Genius stg at altar hldg standard.jpg
    RI MARCUS AURELIUS AR Den as Caesar TR POT VI COS II - Genius stg at altar hldg standard
    Like @lordmarcovan , I kinda recycle Seller's Pic... you know, instead of saving TREES, I am SAVING ELECTRONS!!! :D

Curtisimo, Ajax, TheRed and 14 others like this.
  6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That's a spectacular coin, Mr. Orfew! It has a beautiful range of surface tones—the portrait is great and the trophy stand on the reverse are unique. I've never seen one like it.

Here's one that I was fortunate to acquire from one of CT Ancient Forum's distinguished members.

MAposter.jpg

7. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

Great coin Andrew. MA was one of the few emperors who was friendly with the Jews and he and his father-in-law are even mentioned in the Talmud as I have posted about previously. They rescinded the evil edicts of Hadrian against the Jews and their religion and they made personal friendships coinboughtmarcusaureliusEaglesestertius.jpg with a few revered Jewish sages. Judaea as a country had been all but obliterated but the religion spread and thrived and of course it's branch took over all of Rome in another century or so. Here is a sestertius honoring his ascent into immortality.

Curtisimo, Ajax, zumbly and 14 others like this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great denarius!

012.JPG

Curtisimo, Deacon Ray, Ajax and 13 others like this.
  9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Very nice and with a cool provenance. Way to go! I had to meditate on it but here is mine...
    20180318_162235.jpg 20180318_162300.jpg

Curtisimo, Deacon Ray, Ajax and 11 others like this.
  10. Jovian363

Jovian363 Well-Known Member

Very nice OP coin, congrats! I offer one with a more ordinary reverse, but perhaps an ominous connection might be assumed between the Salus reverse and the Antonine plague.. MarcAurelSalutiDenarius.jpg .

Curtisimo, Deacon Ray, Ajax and 14 others like this.
  11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Excellent choice Orfew !
    Here's my middle of the road Marcus A. / Salus denarius:
    P1150221.JPG

Curtisimo, Deacon Ray, Ajax and 10 others like this.
  12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I wager it refers to the Marcomannic wars, perhaps specifically to the victory in 172 which led to "Germanicus" being added to MA's title on some coins.

Around the same time was the "miracle of the rain" (see Zumbly's writeup). This coin may allude to it:

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius
    Sestertius; 31 mm, 24 gm; struck AD 173, Rome mint
    Obv: laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: Mercury standing left on pedestal, holding caduceus and purse (it looks more like a patera to me); within temple with figural columns (telamones); on semicircular pediment, tortoise (unfortunately worn on this coin), cockerel, ram, caduceus, winged helmet, and purse; S-C across fields; RELIG AVG in exergue
    Ref: RIC III 1074; MIR 18, 258-6/37; Banti 260

A couple of my favorite MA coins are provincials:
    [​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Marcus Aurelius as Caesar
    AE obol, 20.5 mm, 6.0 gm. Alexandria.
    Year 15 (CE 151/2)
    Obv: MAVPHΛICKAICAP; bust right, bare head
    Rev: Sphinx crouched right in the pose of the Great Sphinx of Giza; LIE (date) above in left field
    Ref: Emmett 1919.15, R5; Dattari 3221; RPC IV online 15684

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Marcus Aurelius
    year 12, CE 171/2
    AE diobol, 22 mm, 7.53 gm
    Obv: [MAV]PHΛIOC ANTω[ΝΙΝΟCCE]; laureate bust right
    Rev: Uraeus serpent erect left, wearing headdress; "holding" sistrum and grain ear; LI - B across upper fields
    Ref: Dattari 3605 and Pl. XXXII, 3605 (this coin). Dattari-Savio Pl. 193, 3605 (this coin); Geissen --; Emmett 2260.12, R5
    ex Dattari collection (Giovanni Dattari, 1858-1923)

14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

galba68 likes this.
  15. Orfew

Great coins @TIF

My coins was apparently struck between December 172 and December 173.

Here is the Titus I was referring to.

Titus RIC 1 new.jpg

Curtisimo, TheRed, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  16. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I have one with an extremely hungover Marcus Aurelius.
    Some mornings are rougher than others.... remember he was just a mere mortal
    at this point so give him a break.
    Marcus_OBV.jpg
    Even Fortuna looks disappointed in his over indulgence!
    Marcus_REV.jpg

17. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

Nice, Here's my Ebay Marcus Aurelius
    maurc.jpg
    Marcus Aurelius (161-180), Denarius, Rome, AD 161; AR
    Obverse: IMP M AVREL ANTONINVS AVG, laureate head r., Reverse: . CONCORD - AVG TR P XV, Concordia seated l., holding patera and resting l. arm on statue of Spes; under seat, cornucopiae; in ex. COS III.
    RIC 3; C 31
    I won 2 coins in Nomos too.

18. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin @Orfew, great pick up.

Orfew likes this.
  19. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Curtisimo likes this.
  20. Orfew

Curtisimo and Ryro like this.
  21. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Just learned I won this one--from the same provenance and same auction!

Faustina Sr AVGVSTA Vesta denarius.jpg
    Faustina I, Augusta AD 138-141, wife of Antoninus Pius
    Roman AR denarius; 3.51 g, 18 mm, 6 h
    Rome, AD 141-161
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, draped bust right
    Rev: AVGVSTA, Vesta standing left, holding simpulum and palladium
    Refs: RIC 368; BMC 435-8; Cohen 108; RCV 4587; CRE 153

From the collection of W. F. Stoecklin, Amriswil, Switzerland, acquired prior to 1975. Obolos 9 by Nomos. March 25, 2018

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted