Nomos Auction House?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mrktstrtmyhm, May 6, 2021.

1. Mrktstrtmyhm

Mrktstrtmyhm Active Member

Anybody ever participate in this auction houses' sales? Their website is super simple looking, almost to the point of a scam. I searched here but nothing came up so I'm posting this just to see what experience people have had with them, if any. Cheers!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

As good as they come! Top flight!
    At one time, CNG was a partner. I don’t know if that still is the case

4. Mrktstrtmyhm

Mrktstrtmyhm Active Member

Awesome! After reading a bit of their website and such I'm gonna take this post down. Thanks for the reaffirmation though!

5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Oh yeah, they're awful;) Better stay away for the rest of us...I mean to avoid getting ripped off :stop::hilarious: 1380053_1600340160.l-removebg-preview.png

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Don't take it down, please -- it may be helpful to others. They're actually one of the few auction companies whose sales I've bid on, mostly because it's so easy to register and bid on their own website instead of doing so through numisbids, sixbids, etc. Both of these come from Nomos Obolos auctions:

Augustus As jpg version.jpg

Nomos Obolos Auction 18 Marius Capito denarius (Control-number CI) jpg version.jpg

7. Ryro

Edit: It's pretty trolly considering their sterling reputation.
    Since you cannot take a post down you may want to simply change the OP to a less accusing statement, like, "Has anyone used auction house "X"? If so, how was your experience?"
    But that's just what I'd do... oh, that's right. I got this rare, provenanced, beauty from them as well:
    image00054.jpg

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here are a couple I purchased from them for my Faustina sub-collection:

Faustina Sr AVGVSTA Vesta standing denarius.jpg

Faustina Jr CONCORDIA standing left denarius.jpg

9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Have dealt with them for years. They are professional efficient and excellent.

Here is one I bought from them.

Divus Vespasian, AR Denarius. Rome, under Titus, 80-81.
    (17.5 mm, 3.24 g, 4 h),
    Obv: Laureate head of Divus Vespasian to right; DIVVS VESPASIANVS [AVGVSTVS]
    Rev: Slow quadriga to right, with car in form of small temple; EX S C
    RIC 362 (R2); BMC 117; RSC 147; Hendin 1585a
    Ex: Nomos Obolos Auction 16 Lot 1127 Sunday October 11, 2020
    Coin depicted on Wildwinds database

New t362.jpg

Pavlos, Johndakerftw, Limes and 6 others like this.
  10. Hrefn

Hrefn Well-Known Member

Nomos has my highest recommendation. Dr. Alan Walker is their senior numismatist, extremely experienced, cordial, and knowledgeable. I can also speak from personal experience as to the integrity of their business practice. The following Theodosius II solidus is a recent acquisition from Nomos. upload_2021-5-6_21-34-28.png upload_2021-5-6_21-32-47.png

11. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Prieur 1141 obv..JPG Prieur 1141 rev..JPG Ditto what everyone said :happy:. My avatar coin came from Nomos.

Two more favorites from Nomos pictured below.

3988264-004, AK Collection.jpg
    4531309-003, AK Collection.jpg

Sorry, I had to edit a mismatch on the 1st coin.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

13. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Nomos is indeed one of the good ones. Here are a couple of my favorite coins which came through Nomos auctions/fixed price lists:

Kimon.jpg Perseus.jpg Daric.jpg Eukratides.jpg

14. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, Nomos is great, but stay away from what I am bidding on! :)

15. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

One of the best auction houses out there in my opinion! Great selection of coins, background information, very helpful and knowledgeable staff.

If you would have read the "About us", it would have answered all your questions, in my opinion it looks very professional, not even close of looking like a scam.

Ryro likes this.
  16. Ryro

Agreed. I worry this is another troll post (also written by a newbie that posted on the last trolls threads). I will not be posting on it anymore, despite how much I LOVE Nomos:singing:

Roman Collector likes this.
  17. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

At one time Nomos did a FPL in conjunction with CNG. I saw this coin and purchased it
    Syracuse Ar Tetradrachm 413-399 BC. Signed on reverse by Eukleidas Obv. Fast quadriga left three quarters view. Charioteer crowned by Nike. Rv. Head of Arethusa left hair in sphendone four dolphins swimming around. Fischer Bossert 86m This coin 17.18 grms 25 mm Purchases Nomos FPL 7 January 2014 Photo by W. Hansen syracuset14.jpg I always wanted one of the Syracuse tetradrachms minted during the period when the artists signed their coins as I feel that this was a watershed moment in the history of numismatics. Before these coins the Greek artists were still trying to break free from the shackles imposed from the earlier archaic period but afterwards one can observe a great awakening of very naturalistic imagery which seems to spread very quickly throughout the Greek world. I often wonder if this is one of the legacies of the Peloponnesian War. Not only would men returning from the siege of Syracuse 415-413 BC returned home with some of these coins but the Syracusan navy was active as well in the Aegean Sea for almost a decade afterwards.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  18. Keith Twitchell

Keith Twitchell Active Member

I love Nomos also, their pre-auction emails are scholarly and amusing at the same time, not an easy thing to accomplish. But like medoraman said, bids off my coins!

Draft saved Draft deleted