No way just found this 1937 D 3 legged buffalo? Please need real help!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Danny Bulric, Nov 27, 2023.

1. Danny Bulric

Danny Bulric Active Member

Okay like the title says I just stumbled across this, I’m just starting out with this hobby, and so I’ll be honest I just tend to focus on mainly $25 boxes of pennies but I buy 10 boxes a month, yes I have that much time on my hands being medically retired at 36… I served, long story short I can’t let myself stay idle to long my mind wonders to past events! So I kinda jumped head first into this hobby searching to find something that could or would slow the cog's in my head that are always spinning full force, and so the amount of research and learning involved Is exactly the peace of mind I desperately needed….
    And So bringing y’all back on point, I have done very little on nickels but reading what PCGS and the NGC website description seems spot on to me, and though the part about how the Indians neck should look like Moth bites which makes the die look fuzzy/ deteriorating And it’s not considered an variety and but an error since It’s a (LDS)Late Die State if that’s correct due to over polishing , just learned what that was haha, So does this coin appear to be a legitimate 1937 D 3 legged Buffalo to you Experts! If I really just did get lucky it couldn’t have come at a better time in my life, I need an success even if it’s not really worth much.
    Thanks for reading this and any and all help before hand :)
    pS.i just got these plastic coin cases so I put it in it right away just to be safe.

Attached Files:

NOS, alurid and kountryken like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

A better/closer up picture of the reverse would be helpful, see if it matches this one from NGC: [​IMG]

lordmarcovan and kountryken like this.
  4. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

I truly hope that it is a real 3-legged Buffalo, but, as previously stated, better pictures are needed. BTW, I'm not one of the "experts", I'm just a fellow collector that has benefitted greatly from the "experts" and the vast knowledge on this forum. Also, I'm a fellow veteran (although a lot older than you) and I sincerely say "thank you for your service and God bless you"! I wish you the best, Kenneth from SW Louisiana.

dwhiz and Inspector43 like this.
  5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Better pics would help. Take out the case and take closeups. But it looks like it could have a chance. Almost looks like a ground find

JPD3 likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sure looks like it but without better pictures it’s too hard to say.

JPD3 likes this.
  7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Here is one of my 3L in PCGS holder. The front ( missing) leg and back one. Jim

pcgs3L-1.JPG pcgs3L-1.JPG

Kevin Mader, dwhiz, JPD3 and 2 others like this.
  8. Danny Bulric

Okay 2 sec more pics coming!!!!

9. Danny Bulric

I might need a better app to take better pictures , let me know if you fellas need more or clearer ones

Attached Files:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  10. Danny Bulric

Baby asleep where I have excess to better lighting.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  11. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

It looks like we won't have an answer until the coin is " cleaned up". I would Only try 100 % Acetone.
    Tip : click upload full image when uploading p!ease.

JPD3 likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Still not quite clear enough to say from the pictures provided, but it looks like it could be. It's environmentally damaged, unfortunately, but if it's a real 3-leg it's still a nice find.

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Spark1951 likes this.
  14. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

15. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I know, I know, I am a old curmudgeon that just causes trouble.

Anyway, it is not what it might be.

Hold 5X up to the screen.

16. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

I’m in the ‘Not the 3 leg variety’ camp. Mint mark not the same location as @desertgem example.
    Better app for pictures?

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Maybe just get a bit closer to the coin and post the photos full size image.
    I can't tell with the tiny photos.

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The 3 leg Buffalo coin is a VARIETY. Not all mint errors are errors.

19. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

After comparing your example to a genuine piece I have come to the conclusion that your specimen is not a 3 legged buffalo. Here are the reasons why, the last leg on the far right does not have the "moth eaten" look as it should have, on a genuine piece it looks very ragged. The leg that should be gone has parts that are visible where a genuine piece would not. Also the mint mark is not in the correct position.
    In my opinion this is just an environmentally damaged piece.

Spark1951 likes this.
  20. Danny Bulric

Yeah I use a mag app to zoom in my phone 5x isn’t great it tends to get distorted, but I when. I rotate it certain angle a faint outline of the front leg can be seen, so maybe this isn’t the 3legger.. I’ll put it under the scope and take a close up on there than snap a photo with my phone cam of the scope screen lol

21. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I cleaned up the image a bit for you.
    3LB.jpg

Danny Bulric and Abramthegreat like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted