No treasury seal, serial number, and yellow backed dollar bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gold_digger2011, Jul 5, 2011.

1. gold_digger2011

gold_digger2011 New Member

Hey all,

I'm brand new to the forum! Nice to be welcome! Anyway, down to business... My fiancee's mom inherited a 1 dollar bill from her brother who past away in Vietnam. The bill has no treasury seal, no serial number and the back of the bill is yellow instead of green. Any idea on what something like this is worth?

Thanks!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Welcome to CT.
    Not without pictures!

I remember when people (including me) would chemically treat the backs of notes to turn them from green to yellow. That might be the only explanation for the yellow back. I don't know if this is still possible. Your note may have been altered to remove the third printing, too.

Without pictures, it's impossible to tell.

4. gold_digger2011

Unfortunately, I cannot post pictures of it. It's in a safe that is only accessable by one person and im not she. Just picture a normal pre-1964 1 dollar bill without the serial number, treasury seal, and with a yellow back instead of green and you have your image. Sorry I couldnt post one...

5. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I have a dollar note missing the treasury seal only... it's a genuine error but note sure of the value. I always thought the serial number and treasury note were applied at the same time (third printing). Anyway, you would need pics similar to my note:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. wooleytree

wooleytree Operation Flamingo

Hmmm interesting. My first thought was a North Africa note but they have yellow seals and a regular reverse. Hopefully some one can figure it out.

7. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Sounds like missing third printing, or there was something obstructing those areas. There are dubious people out there who try and fake errors, so without a picture it would be hard to imagine if it is a real error or not. Another way is to look at the note under magnification to see any distortions in the areas where the seals normally go. If that is the case, they could have been removed.
    As for the yellow back, chemical treatment sounds like the way it was done. Notes will not come from the BEP with a yellow back. Generally if there is an issue with the bill it is not from chemicals at the BEP as they use solvent to clean the press.

8. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Sounds like it's been bleached in some way. I doubt it was an intentional alteration to fool anyone; most likely, the bill just got accidentally soaked in something, and then washed off and put back into circulation. In which case, it's worth a dollar.

9. zeewool

zeewool Junior Member

Most definitely an altered note.

If you could remember if it is titled "Federal Reserve Note" or "Silver Certificate" or "United States Note", that might make a small bit of difference in a premium over face value...... Does it have a district (black) seal?

Keeping it in a safe is not such a smooth move however, as inflation depreciates its value daily, you might have a hard time selling it for face value or even spending it at face value if it is a Federal Reserve Note or a Silver Certificate....... If it is a United States Note, there 'might' be a very small premium to someone.

Now, here is why it is an altered note....... The first printing (the green ink on the back) was not the same green ink used on the FRN treasury seal or the serial numbers...... while it is possible that the third printing (serial numbers, treasury seal) could be missing, the first printing ink was never yellow on a $1 note (no need for the BEP to even have such ink)...... whatever harsh chemical was used to turn the back yellow simultaneously removed the green, red or blue ink of the third printing....... I'll bet that the portions of the note that were printed in black ink now look like they were printed in gray ink.

jloring..... Yes, you are correct, the serial numbers and treasury seal were applied at the same time as the district seal and district numbers...... since only the treasury seal is missing on your note, if it is genuine (and I see no evidence to indicate otherwise) an obstruction is the cause of your missing seal.... neat note since the obstruction covers the seal only (yet completely).

10. zeewool

zeewool Junior Member

I am cordially inviting everyone to watch me eat a little bit 'o crow here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-1963-One-Doll...081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aac975649

(I hope that came out as a link).

I was thinking that the chemical involved surely would have been liquid...... now I am thoroughly confused..... possibly light was a factor in the yellow back on the eBay note as its 3rd printing remains? Matters not, I was wrong in my assumptions of a note that I had not seen...... Still, I have no doubt that these are both altered notes (somehow).

11. krispy

krispy krispy

12. rickmp

No crow to be eaten here, zeewool. The note you linked to has been altered with chemicals. The note will not get by a TPG, as the yellow back was created after the note left the Federal Reserve. I will not divulge how this error was created because that knowledge will only bring more of these faux errors to the market.

13. gold_digger2011

14. rickmp

Why is it wrapped in masking tape? If it is real, it's ruined.
    Looks bleached to me, but I may be wrong.

15. gold_digger2011

16. rickmp

You just might have something there!

17. gold_digger2011

Okay, cool! I'll see what others say and then i'll move this to the whats it worth forum.

18. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

well from looking at the back it looks like it has been washed or cleaned with some type of chemicals(as others have mentioned). i have quite a few notes just like that. only difference is the serial and seal are still on the note. sad part if it was truly an error at one point the value has dropped greatly because it was altered in some way. having hi res scans of the note might help a little but my opinion is the note is not genuine. thats just my opinion of course :D

19. gold_digger2011

Yea, I think you're right because I saw some VERY light serial and treasury seal on the note but my fiancee's mom was just completely sure it was genuine even though she has no idea about it. I told her it was probably chemically altered some way or another but she insists that it's not..... I call BS....However, when her Brother passed away in the war this is all she was sent and she claims that he wouldnt have sent it too her if it were just worth a dollar. I'd hate to break it to her but it looks like im going to have to tell her that its not genuine. Now, to get this out of her head, how can I prove that it's not genuine without having her send it or take it somewhere? She's so tied up in the dollar that she doesnt trust anyone with it.

20. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

i would just search the internet for notes that are similar so she can see that it is not genuine. i am sure you can even search this site and find threads. i know i had one posted with the note i had with the yellow back. there are at least 3-5 threads on the site that talk about notes like that. you can also maybe take it to a local coin/currency shop in your area. its not worth sending it into a grading company. they would give you that 100% answer but i think from the info you have gotten from here that you can also see its not genuine. its always tough when it has sentimental value for the person to believe that the item is not quite what they thought it was.

21. keb

keb New Member

I have been researching the $1 bill with a yellow/gold colored backside. I am in possession of a 1969 141661976500048377441.jpg 1416619924083-590977962.jpg D $1 bill which clearly reflects a normal green inked front and a yellow inked back. The idea of bleaching the back does not set well with me. As I examine this bill I can not find any indication of the front being affected nor do I find any indication if the back having been altered. The yellow ink is the same intensity all over with no sign of the color having been unevenly changed. I tried to get clear photos but the transafer of the images during download affects the clarity.

Draft saved Draft deleted