No serial numbers - how does that work?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by ColonialCoinsUK, May 1, 2022.

1. ColonialCoinsUK

ColonialCoinsUK Well-Known Member

I have a Chile 1 peso or 1/10 condor which just has the number B1 and no serial numbers. This issue seems to have Series A, B, C and D with 1 to 70 for each. (Series E wasn't issued).

There must have been many notes with B11 as mine - how common is it to have no serial numbers and how does this work in practice?

MCChil015-1P-1^10con-P90b-PMG65-F-crop.jpg MCChil015-1P-1^10con-P90b-PMG65-B-crop.jpg

George McClellan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I don't deal in world currency, so don't have any idea on the serial numbers. What does the B 11 signify?
    Possibly a note that wasn't meant for circulation, so didn't go through the last printing?

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Billete Provisional means provisional ticket. Since this is 1943,
    maybe it's some kind of military WW2 scrip?

5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

6. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Many notes only used block letters and numbers without serial numbers.

7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

If it's not American, I haven't a clue. There are many knowledgeable collectors here that will though wait and see. Good luck.

8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I can see that it is convertible in gold. Beyond that, I'm not much help.

9. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

It is not unusual for low denomination notes issued in high quantities to lack serial numbers. The issuer probably decided it was not worth the effort to keep track of the notes. The US fractional 5, 10, 25 and 50 cent notes of 1862 lacked serial numbers - and 50 cents in 1862 was about the equivalent of $10 or more in todays money.

10. ColonialCoinsUK

ColonialCoinsUK Well-Known Member

Thankyou all, it appears that a lack of serial numbers is more common than I expected. This seems to be the case for short-lived and/or low denomination notes which may just have block numbers rather then serial numbers which would make production cheaper and easier. This is often the case during periods of hyperinflation or during war (the Mexican revolution in this case) so this makes perfect sense and ties with the circumstances these notes were issued under.

I now wonder how many of the 'blocks' still have examples in existence? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted