No more "replicas" on eBay. Yayyyyy!!!!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinsnake, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

Dear #^^#}{{^++:

The eBay marketplace for coin collecting is vibrant. Buyers and sellers alike enjoy access to both a great selection and a highly engaged community. Customers within the Coins & Paper Money category have told us that the ability to shop and sell confidently on eBay is an important factor for them.

Based on this feedback, and after closely reviewing the coin experience on eBay, we have decided to update eBay's Stamps, currency, and coins policy to disallow replica coin listings on eBay.com, effective February 20. Any replica coin listings on eBay on February 20 will be allowed to end normally.

This update reflects standards across the coin industry and helps ensure compliance with applicable laws that require replica coins to be permanently marked with the word "copy." We also expect that this update will increase marketplace confidence by letting our community know that coin listings on eBay are authentic, so they'll receive the most positive eBay experience possible.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Sincerely,

The eBay Seller Team

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

You beat me to it by 4 minutes!

4. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

and I beat him by 4 :D haha!!! Big news tho!!

5. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Well, it's a start!

6. rush2112

rush2112 Junior Member

There were still be replicas on ebay. They will just be in another catagory and not listed as replicas. This will make the problem even worse. At least before, the honest seller had a catagory for replica coins. This will only increase the amount unmarked fakes being sold under false pretenses.

7. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

I love it!

I gotta say, +1 for eBay.

8. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

About time!!! Now there needs to be more grace time given for coin purchases so that they can be sent to a tpg and still qualify for the money back if bodybagged as fake....from 45 days or so until?????????

9. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

You are right on the money, you are a Critical Thinker unlike some people with a nanny mentality who sought to ban Replica coins from being sold outright. Replica seller's strive to enhance collections and "make them more perfect". All this ban will do is push Replica sales to the underground market and cause Replica seller's to make their own independent websites hosted in areas of the world where laws and policies can't touch them.

10. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

There are already such sites, they always operated in addition to eBay. The positive thing about eBay move is that now these replicas will be found on those sites, and tens to hundreds will visit those pages. With eBay, it was hundreds to tens of thousands of buyers.

11. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

this is good.. now we have to eliminate chinese market fakes

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

... and get eBay to listen to responsible numismatists.
    There will continue to be replica/copy coins on eBay, just not listed as such.
    Also there's the fakes/counterfeits/altered, etc. coins.
    Oh, and cleaned/dipped items.

Many here have the knowledge to help weed this stuff out; eBay just doesn't want to listen.

13. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Of course not. The motive for profit is too great. As far as I'm concerned, the damage is already done. The fake producing facilities are already established. They hit a small bump in the road now. Finding another way to ship their garbage on a large scale will be easy. Ebay just helped them get started.

14. mkwelbornjr

mkwelbornjr Junior Member

How does this affect Dan Carr over strikes which in turn are coins that never existed so can't be replicas. Or medals that portray real coins such as the giant half pound silver eagles? These are all legit collectibles that need to Ebay site to connect sellers and buyers.

Draft saved Draft deleted