No more complaining about GC photos? Phil Arnold Joins GreatCollections

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Nov 27, 2023.

1. bbartlow

bbartlow New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bbartlow

bbartlow New Member

Of course, if a buyer is disappointed with the coin in hand they have recourse in GC's return policy. I always thought offering such a guarantee was a gutsy move by Ian but it's also one of the reasons the company went ballistic: Trust.

4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

If you are on the nice list, GC has done a 2024 calendar with some of Phil's photos.

A W E S O M E

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The new photos are cool. I'm sure they'll get higher bids, which of course is the objective, but the photos are worth saving (when I win one of those coins).

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I noticed that some coins on GC have more than 2 images. Is that an option or something that GC decides?

7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I think you will see more of that. In one of the threads about Phil joining GC, Ian said they would continue with their existing photos. iIRC it was for consistency.

IMHO Phil's photos would be a valuable addition to help customers judge the coins.

8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

One weird thing I have noticed as GC transitions from their "old" photo setup to eventually getting the "great photo" added to most of their auctions, that some of their slab photo quality are getting worse.

By worse I mean, they are exposing for the overall picture / exposing for the slab, which means the Slab itself looks correct and is not over-exposed, but this has the major downside of making the coin appear darker, and you can see the coin itself less well for hits, scrapes, scratches, etc.

Since they are in transition, you can see coins showing up side-by-side in auctions that end on the same date, and one coin has the old, slightly overexposed images that shows the coin nicely, right next to a better exposed image that shows the slab better than the coin.

example:

Screenshot 2024-01-21 141346.jpg

The end goal of for GC is to get ALL their auctions to have the Great Photo (3rd photo) for each auction, which gives us buyers a high resolution closeup akin to PCGS TrueView.

In the meantime, we are sort of in a place that I think the full slab shots are slightly worse than GC photos in the past, but hopefully this only a temporary problem.

The real bummer is that I have seen a few examples of the darker slab shots (new) but that also do not have the 3rd photo (yet). On small coins especially, that makes it harder to judge the coin.

A secondary issue I have been seeing and more JUNK on the slabs. Its like GC is suddenly not even cleaning very obvious and nasty glue, spills, tape, etc. off the slab when in the past, they must have done some level of slab hygiene in the past of this, as I noticing this problem on a lot more slaps in the past few weeks than the past 10+ years of bidding. Not the end of the world, but an interesting unexpected symptom of perhaps their recent building move, their massive growth, their new photo offerings, or something else.

Examples (click to make big):

1510138-2 junk.jpg

1511375-1 junk.jpg

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I’ve noticed this too. Quite a few of the Morgans look dark and hard to decipher the actual look. I’m hoping this improves because at this point, I’d prefer to go back to what it was before the “Great Photo” era.

geekpryde likes this.
  10. geekpryde

I thought this was cool, a GC auction with 4 photos. (not showing the slab pics)

On the proofs, looks like they might get in the habit of showing the cameo vs the color, which will be very helpful for potential buyers:

This better represents the coin, and more auction companies should do this.

1471062-4.jpg 1471062-3.jpg

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

@geekpryde I saw that on a Morgan as well (4 total photos); if I recall correctly, it was a PL that showed the mirrors vs the color. That is also a good development.

12. Lon Chaney

I know this is an old thread, but I've really enjoyed having the additional "Great Photo" to add in my CoinManage software. Looks great! (see what I did there...)
    gc coinmanage 1.jpg

13. geekpryde

Yup, I'm loving the photos. I really like it when I can double-dip on GreatPhoto and TrueViews.

Here are some of my new coins that have Both.

1964 50C HALF DOLLARS - KENNEDY PCGS MS65 41676833 TrueView.jpg 1964 50C HALF DOLLARS - KENNEDY PCGS MS65 41676833 GC Great Photo.jpg

1976 D 50C HALF DOLLARS - KENNEDY PCGS MS66 46901396 TrueView.jpg 1976 D 50C HALF DOLLARS - KENNEDY PCGS MS66 46901396 GC Great Photo.jpg

1968 D 50C HALF DOLLARS - KENNEDY PCGS MS65 40383095 TrueView.jpg 1968 D 50C HALF DOLLARS - KENNEDY PCGS MS65 40383095 GC GreatPhoto.jpg

1972 50C HALF DOLLAR - KENNEDY, CLAD PCGS MS66+ 47244663 TrueView Full.jpg 1972 50C HALF DOLLAR - KENNEDY, CLAD PCGS MS66+ 47244663 GreatCollections Full.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2024
  14. Lon Chaney

Some nice Kennedys there.

geekpryde likes this.
  15. erscolo

erscolo Well-Known Member

If not this, collectors will complain about something else. Life will continue as it has for a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted