No mint mark Roosevelt dimes

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Justbecause, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Justbecause

Justbecause New Member

I have found a few dimes with no mint mark. When I attempt to look them up without a mint mark they do not come up. Would someone please help me find a place I can find some information about them and their value please.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how you were looking these up, but they are perfectly ordinary, circulated, and slightly damaged dimes worth 10 cents apiece.

Also, welcome to the forum. :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Truth1253 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

Most coins that were intended for circulation by the Philadelphia Mint do not have the mintmark (P). Some years do on certain denominations, but I don't keep track of which years.

Chris

5. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

This is the third one of these threads about P mint dimes to pop up over the past couple days... Aye aye aye... At least do a LITTLE research before posting

6. cpm9ball

Hey! The last time I mentioned this very same thing, I was harassed by everyone and called every name in the book.

Chris

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  7. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Where was I? I would've joined in the fun ;) . I'm with ya though. I've got a lot to learn when it comes to numismatics, but I'll atleast browse the internet for a couple of minutes minimum if I'm unaware of something before posting such a basic question seeking others help. One of the main reasons I love frequenting this forum is for the knowledge one can share and receive, but why does my dime not have a mint mark? Thats one of the first lessons you learn in Intro To Coins 101... I hope no one takes this post the wrong way, I'm not taking a shot at this poster personally, this is one of many like it I've seen... But, I mean.... really?

Truth1253 likes this.
  8. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

There should be a sticky on this subject. It constantly comes up.

hotwheelsearl and Truth1253 like this.
  9. cpm9ball

If Peter pinned every subject that comes up over and over, we wouldn't have space for any other thread on the first two pages.

What we should have is "Look before you leap!" pinned to the top of every forum.

Chris

gronnh20 likes this.
  10. Dale Lassiter

Dale Lassiter Active Member

Put the " P " behind the 1975 dime, ( 1975 p dime value )then look it up.

11. Justbecause

Justbecause New Member

Thank you. I shall start my search on their history and worth looking with the (P) thank you all.

12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I actually forgot to mention, there is one "no mint mark" dime that does have significant value (even if well worn):http://www.pcgs.com/news/the-1982-no-p-mintmark-roosevelt-dime

This one is a true error and quite scarce, but still able to be found in circulation because it just doesn't look that different from a regular dime.

13. Walkers

Walkers New Member

I highly recommend having a good reference source, such as a recent Red Book ("A Guide Book of U.S. Coins", published annually - you don't need one every year, but having a recent issue is very useful).

Mintmarks were added to all Philadelphia coins EXCEPT the cent sometime in the modern, post-silver era (after 1964), but I did not recall when the change occurred.

The Red Book says that "P" mintmarks were added starting in 1980.

Your 1966 dime has no mintmark because mintmarks were temporarily discontinued 1965-1967, in response to a circulating coin shortage for which collectors were supposedly blamed - or so I have read. I suspect the coin shortage was caused by the general public massively removing silver coins from circulation as the new clad coinage was introduced.

Mad Stax likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted