No... it's not a Mint Error, nor valuable, 99.999999% of the time

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Beefer518, Mar 24, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Typewriters do have one current use - pre-printed multiple part forms, which still do exist in government uses.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Okay, first I admit I do have the book "Strike It Rich with Pocket Change" but I also have other books, too, like one one my favorite coin, the Morgan dollars.

But I also come here to pick the brains of you guys. I know I can get a lot of good information from the questions and answers posted here.

I deal with airline passengers, and sometimes they ask questions I think are dumb because they don't read the signs we have all over the place. But then I realize that when I go to a hardware store looking for something specific, I don't try to find it on my own since it's easier and quicker to ask someone.

Still, if someone is going to come here looking for advice, it is better to take the time to build a relationship based on having some idea of what has gone before.

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I think @Cheech9712 has it exactly right. Take the newbs in stride and try to help as much as you can. When it gets painful, just walk around the block.

Love you too, Cheech!

5. V. Kurt Bellman

I think we're onto something here. I recently went into a hardware store in a small suburb of Dallas, Texas, a town in which I had NEVER been before. I actually DID search aisle after aisle on my own and DID NOT ASK SOMEONE. It's just the way I am wired - self-sufficiency and self-reliance are cultural goals, and a value (Tru-Valu) with which I was raised. I spent 40 minutes in the shop buying three cheap items.

My cultural roots come from a people reticent to ASK for help, but for whom help just spontaneously arrives due to a deeply felt sense of community.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I use the search function several times a week! It's much easier than asking a question on a public forum and getting all of those BoobTube responses.

Chris

7. yartiques

yartiques Active Member

Beefer518: I just found 2 cents in the parking lot at the grocery store. One is a 1983 , weighs 2.5, and has a die crack at the "fg". The other is a 1986 and weighs 2.6. Ain't at summpin!

Beefer518 likes this.
  8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

they're just falling from the sky like rain !!

Beefer518 likes this.
  9. yartiques

yartiques Active Member

They do for me anyway!

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Chris, I and the forum values your "trys" to help people, even though they don't know how to ask a specific coin question. Thanks Jim

Beefer518 likes this.
  11. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I usually search thru google using "site:cointalk.com" or sometimes I just add "forum" to my search critieria (broaden the search to all coin forums).

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Really, I'd like to see this stickied everywhere, or better yet tear out the XenForo "search" logic entirely and have the search button just send your query out to Google with "site:cointalk.com" appended.

No, I don't actually want that, because then we'd lose the limit-by-forum and limit-by-username features, which are actually useful at times. But the current stop-word settings for built-in search render it almost useless, making it ignore words that are "too short" -- like AU, MS, NGC, raw, DDO, DDR, CC, P, D, S...

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. mikenoodle

Thank you pat!! I learned a new trick today!

I learn SO MUCH STUFF on this site!!!

14. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

And isn't it nice when people can joke and some have skin thick enough to either get it, or not be bothered by it. I cannot make anyone feel a certain way unless I use a wrasp or sandpaper.

15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

And some of our nuclear missile sites still use 3.5" floppies, that's not saying much.

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Isn't it great we live in such a great country? Only in America would this thread have lasted 7 pages. In China it would have been shut down after one page and all would likely be in jail. "You can please some of the people some of the time, some of the people most of the time, but not all the people all the time". Loosely quoted.

17. V. Kurt Bellman

Not 5.25"? Harumph.

tommyc03 likes this.
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

Most people have NO idea how much "old school" stuff law and government use every day. Example - How does a county report its official results to its state capital in a statewide election? Just like writing checks. The candidate's name, and his vote total IN BOTH DIGITS AND WORDS WRITTEN OUT LONGHAND is signed by the proper county officials and sealed with a big honking' pressed seal for each candidate. That pouch is delivered by hand to the state office. And people think it's by tech. Nope.

Weeks AFTER that, they report each machine total separately, AND THE TOTAL HAS TO MATCH EXACTLY the "check" sent weeks before. People know soooooooo little about the nuts and bolts of government.

19. mikenoodle

Sometimes that is done in the name of security, Kurt

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Security through obscurity is never robust. But I think Kurt was talking about willful ignorance on the part of citizens, not secrecy.

21. mikenoodle

I agree. My comment was offered a bit tongue in cheek.

That said, the transparency that separates us from the rest of the world often puts us in the greatest peril.

Just food for thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted