No... it's not a Mint Error, nor valuable, 99.999999% of the time

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Beefer518, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

If you have a 1983 or newer Lincoln cent, or a 1982 Lincoln cent that is of the zinc variety that you found with weirdness, you can pretty much rest assured that it is NOT a mint error.

There were 320,228,284,932 Lincoln cents minted from 1983 through 2016, not including proofs. That's 320 BILLION cents.

Chances of winning Powerball is 1:292,000,000 (1 in 292 million)

What do you think the odds are that the 1986 Lincoln cent you found in the parking lot of your local grocery store is an error coin?

Point is, before you post a Lincoln cent that looks like it got run over by the President's motorcade, think about it, and think how what you are looking at could have been caused at/by the mint or minting process.

Oh, and in my opinion, all Zincolns are errors - it was a mistake for the Mint to produce these, and think it was a good idea.

Spark1951, Nyatii, PlanoSteve and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Easy buddy.. Calm down.
    I understand your frustration but none of these newbies are ever going to read this thread. Their damaged coins are more important than anything else :bucktooth:.. I think they don 't even bother looking at true Mint Errors such as the Errors I post all the time.

Oh and don't forget the Trolls! :troll:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

[​IMG]

Bud1 Wilson and Beefer518 like this.
  5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Somebody Needs A Time Out !

Beefer518 likes this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

[​IMG]

"I feel your pain."

7. lovecoinswalkingliberty

lovecoinswalkingliberty Well-Known Member

I agree with @paddyman98 calm it down a little bit, and plus, this is not going to stop them

paddyman98 and Beefer518 like this.
  8. SPC CENTS

SPC CENTS Hammering slabs

Why are new people allowed to post here, if not to learn? We all probably started out knowing next to nothing, or less. We asked questions. We learned and became competent. We share or knowledge with others. Is the circle of life.
    elite-daily-lion-king.jpg

9. Beefer518

See what I have to say below this quote -

I don't have any problem, nor am I upset at all with new people coming here to learn, or ask questions, or hope they have struck gold. I actually look forward to the 'Is this an error...?' posts, in hopes that there will be something new to learn, or that someone has actually found something unique and valuable.

Unfortunately, it seems that only one in 250 actually want to learn anything, and the other 249 of them think we're wrong when they are told it is not anything other then PMD.

I know this is a fruitless thread, but maybe, just maybe, one person will refrain from putting up another PMD'd Zincoln, and read some of the posts that have already been posted, and repeated, and repeated, and repeated.

Maybe we can have a whole other subforum just for Zincolns! :hilarious:

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Then our heirs or robbers dump all our stuff into the CoinStar, and people find it in their change.

And that's the circle of Numismatics.

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

New members are allowed to post here....the problem is that they run off at the mouth about a subject they are clueless! They make senseless post on topics that if they just did a search on the forum they could find the answers to their questions.
    They are LAZY and have a need to be spoon fed.
    Now over the years I have been a member here....I've seen 12 year olds whom have more sense then those double their age.....
    There's an 18 year old here now whom teachers and school system has failed them miserably, as their post are empty of any constructive thoughts....
    They post meaningless topics,and do so one after another!
    Again it is better to sit and look stupid .....then to opens ones mouth and remove all doupt.
    You never learn by speaking......you learn by listening! You learn by reading! And you earn respect by giving it......not by proving to the world that you're a fool.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  12. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, While we are on kinda this topic, I find the folks that join yesterday and post the know everything on every thread annoying! I have been here since 2011 I think and have just started answering some and some posts if I am 99% sure on whats going on. I believe every one whether they are a numismatic or troll should get some respect first.

13. Beefer518

Absolutely! That's why I typically don't respond to the "Is this and error" threads. When I see the title, I know it isn't an error (99.99% of the time), and it can be challenging not to respond in a snarky way. But when I do respond, I word it carefully as to not offend, and also realize most of those are one time Willy's that will never post again (unfortunately).

It does bother me when I see a long time member respond in an offensive (for lack of a better word) way to a new member posting these things. It would be better to either keep out of the thread, lead them to a similar thread so they can read and learn, or educate the poster properly. But, it can be challenging to do so after seeing them so many times.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Encourage everyone, new and old, to repeat after me.........

"CRAPPY ZINCOLN!"

"CRAPPY ZINCOLN!"

"CRAPPY ZINCOLN!"

Chris:)

Beefer518 and Paddy54 like this.
  15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

That's precisely where my thoughts are. I see them over and over and over and over and....... I was always taught, if I don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Or in this case, I can SAY all I want and I do, I just never type it. ;)

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

And don't forget the You Tube factor. It seems many have attempted to do what little research they do there before a light comes on and they come here. We have to reinforce the NO YOU TUBE ideology here. NO "Strike It Rich With Pocket Change" books, etc. There is too much cell phone "On the Fly" info that is totally useless. But newbies must be taught at some point, at least in the beginning. After that, it's up to each of us to decide if we have the patience to continue with them or just pass by repeated similar posts from the same folks.

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

We have had our share of trolls....we had a few laughs with Ed Woods...if in fact there is a real person or a figment of someones imagination.
    But it isn't funny! Yeah at first..... a little but then it was very much a distraction.
    And yes I myself guilty of some of the wasted time and post.
    I do believe most of us were amused and confused at the same time.
    We waffled between fact and fiction over who ,what and why of this person....was he" real " or a troll....
    Understand the members here whom have been around years are here for a reason.....to learn and share what we have learned....
    We share passion for this hobby..... we aren't an closed club ,or click. Who we are even thought at times may disagree.... we are a group of people from every walk of life.....the thread that binds us is the passon we share, the will to learn and share....with others willing to learn.
    We love history from the time the first coins were hammered to present day.
    If you aren't open to knowledge and wisdom maybe you should find another way to past your time.

18. Beefer518

@Paddy54 don't forget (Rare) Tim.... :wacky:

Pickin and Grinin and Paddy54 like this.
  19. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

The frustration sometimes builds to an unbearable level. It's not so much the misinformation they've been fed, it's the implicit message that the entire world has been so stupid to not find stuff in pocket change until these particular individuals came along to find what the whole world has missed. Where does hubris like that come from? I blame really dumbed down education combined with the 'net culture.

20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Is it really poor education or is it because kids are (secretly & quietly) texting on their iPhones instead of listening in class? We already know that they learned how to spell on their idiot phones!

Chris

21. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It is what happens when people are convince they are 'special', and obviously they are smarter than others. As I always say, "There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people that ask questions."

Draft saved Draft deleted