No Israeli Mint?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Myron, Sep 4, 2014.

?

Would you buy coins knowing its coins are made elsewhere?

1. Yes, it doesn't matter, the coins are nice

66.7%
  2. No, it falsely represents a nation

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Again, keep in mind that the "public" mints in Germany are state operated. Berlin/A was the primary mint for/in Prussia. Saxony had its own mint which was in Dresden first, and then (in 1887) moved to Muldenhütten where silver mining and metal processing already was in full swing so to say. :)

During the nazi regime there were plans to build a new central mint in Berlin and then close all others. Well, those final victory plans did not quite work, so after 1945 the five mints resumed production again. As you wrote, Muldenhütten/E minted the last pieces in 1953; after that, Berlin/A made all GDR coins.

The German location that would be easiest to close, in my opinion, is Karlsruhe. In 1998 the two mints in the state of Baden-Württemberg merged into one company, so you now have two places in one state that make coins.

While we may find it sad if a "local" mint closes, there is always the cost issue mentioned before. The mint in Valletta (Malta) closed in 1995, the one in Eskilstuna (Sweden) closed in 2011, and others may follow. We'll see.

Christian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

@torontokuba: I am well aware of the fact that many people, particularly outside Continental Europe, see "Germany" as something that somehow came alive in 1914 and somehow died in 1945. ;) And yes, of course the lack of flagwaving nationalism here has something to do with the nazi years. Problem is, they won't explain everything that has been and is going on here ...

Christian

4. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Not only. Germany has also worked hard to bury any remnants or identity of the former East Germany and its people.

Just don't make it sound like patriotism and pride towards your own domestic customs, products and services is somehow contrary to "the concept of giving and taking" that you're forced to practice.

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Seems you have a view of this part of the world that is strikingly different from what I experience here. Enjoy yours, I have mine - and guess what, it was not "forced" upon me. ;) The only force that I feel here, sort of, is that a moderator should perhaps not be engaged in "World Coins" conversations that seem to be more suitable for PartisanLines ...

Christian

Ardatirion likes this.
  6. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

BINGO!
    [​IMG]
    Don't forget to support your local economy.

7. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Maybe the US can re-open the Carson City mint!

:)

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That's a fun idea. But no modern technology. Everything has to be done old school.

9. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

They'll never re-open Carson City -- the little mintmark dies cost twice as much to make. o_O

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Wow, that was un-called for.

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Nah, it took a few dozen posts. ;) Besides, we're back to the multitude of mints. I don't think that "defunct" facilities will be revived - maybe for special occasions and purposes (think of Hall, Austria 1976), and of course as museums. A "working museum", where medals are minted and where visitors can see or even be involved in the process, is even better ...

By the way, earlier this year (for Lithuania's euro adoption) I made a list of mints, or rather locations, where euro coins have been made. Some of them regularly make circulation coins, others (e.g. Pobjoy) just make a few collector coins, others (Birmingham Mint) may not even exist any more. The country codes in [] refer to locations outside the euro area.

Berlin, DE
    Brussels, BE
    Chalandri (Athens), GR
    Eskilstuna, SE
    Hamburg, DE
    Hockley, [UK]
    Jablonec, [CZ]
    Karlsfeld, DE
    Karlsruhe, DE
    Kingswood, [UK]
    Kremnica, SK
    Lisbon, PT
    Llantrisant, [UK]
    Madrid, ES
    Munich, DE
    Paris, FR
    Pessac (Bordeaux), FR
    Rome, IT
    Sandyford (Dublin), IE
    Stuttgart, DE
    Utrecht, NL
    Vantaa (Helsinki), FI
    Vienna, AT
    Vilnius, LT
    Warsaw, [PL]
    Zagreb, [HR]

Way too many in my opinion. :) But if they manage to work profitably, by making coins and medals for various customers ...

Christian

Theodosius and Tyberius Fox like this.
  12. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

What about the paper money? Are all the Euro banknotes exactly the same, or does each member country have a different design, or a different serial number prefix or some other distinguishing mark(s)?

13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The design is the same; unlike the coins which are issued by the member states, the notes are issued by the ECB, or rather the system of central banks. But each note has a short code and a serial number. Those can be used to find out more about where a note is from.

For the first generation euro notes, the first character of the short code tells you about the printing company while the first character of the serial number refers to the commissioning national central bank. With the second generation notes, the first character is the same for both the code and the s/n, and refers to the printer - not just the company but also the location. I think I wrote about that a while ago, somewhere in the paper money forum. :)

Christian

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

16. Myron

Myron Senior Member

I cannot post the coins from my cell but it's the Unc set issued by the Bank of Israel from the Israel Mint. I don't mind so much that the coins are minted in Korea but I don't like that nations do not advise the coins are not minted nationally. Many iPhone owners believe the phone is US made as Apple HQ is in CA. In truth, the phone uses parts from all over Asia. Only the design comes from the US.

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The better Israeli commemoratives etc are minted in Utrecht Netherlands, or at least they were.

18. Myron

Myron Senior Member

I believed the silver and gold commemoratives were minted at the Jerusalem Mint but I cannot find such a mint even exists.

19. pragmatic

pragmatic Well-Known Member

I got this coin yesterday and couldn't find any info about it on catawiki or numis websites. It is strange because after a thorough search I collected few information about it:
    1/2 old shekel mostly 1980, with Mageddo Seal; Roaring Lion with twisted tail. Below the lion supposed to be written servant of Jeroboam (not sure about this; just a guessing).
    I am frustrated because I couldn't find any information about the coin minting; such as number produced per year and how many years it had been struck. All I know is that old shekel coins had been into circulation 1980-1985.
    Again, the mint is it copper nickel or silver. Not sure about this either. It is really disappointing. I need your help for a reference for this coin.
    20170718_022312-1.jpg 20170718_022303-1.jpg

20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

21. pragmatic

pragmatic Well-Known Member

Chris :) thanks a lot. This is what i was trying to find. Probably i missed it because i searched using the word shekel not sheqel. You are better than google)))))))

chrisild likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted