No Israeli Mint?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Myron, Sep 4, 2014.

?

Would you buy coins knowing its coins are made elsewhere?

1. Yes, it doesn't matter, the coins are nice

66.7%
  2. No, it falsely represents a nation

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Myron

Myron Senior Member

I feel foolish. I recently ordered a set of Israeli coins thinking they were manufactured in the Holy Land. Today I learned that Israel has NO mint and all their coins are manufactured in South Korea. Are the gold and silver commems also minted in South Korea? Why does Israel not tell that their coins are minted elsewhere? Why do they have no mint? I guess the answer is economics: Labor is much cheaper in Korea. This is sad news indeed for numismatic collectors. I bet most treasure these coins thinking they are from Israel.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's been a common practice among many nations throughout history. Whether it's sad news or not is a matter of taste.

4. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

If you want coins minted in Israel, you can still get some older ones, including official sets. Coins from recent 30 years or so are from all over the world, Israel ordered coins from about 20-30 different countries mints, I got a full list somewhere.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Remember that for many years the planchets our cents and half cents were struck on were made in England. Like John said, its not totally new.

6. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

No Israeli mint? Wow... I'm kind of shocked.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Really? Look at how much first-world work gets outsourced to Asia.

8. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Could be a decision based on keeping assets safe. Would you run a fairly large mint operation, with silver and gold storage on site, from an unstable part of the world? Maybe, storing gold and silver in a safer country and using some other mint's services for security reasons, just makes more sense?

Royal Canadian Mint...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    green18, TIF and John Anthony like this.
  9. Arturo

Arturo Chad Gad Yah

If you want coins "minted: in Israel, try collecting ancients. I just got my third zuz, from the Bar Kokhba revolt (132-135). Technically, thy are not minted in Israel, because they use the flans of Roman coins which have been filed or hammered down to efface the Roman images. Then they are stamped with dies "made in Israel."

10. torontokuba

It says "Yes, it doesn't matter, the coins are nice", but, I don't see the coins anywhere ...?

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

No idea why anybody would find it surprising that some country does not have "its own" mint. As mentioned before, lots of countries have their coins and/or banknotes produced elsewhere. And I don't think that many collectors would assume they are locally made. Some of Israel's recent collector coins, for example, have been made by the mints in Finland and the Netherlands.

What may be a little confusing is that the Israel Coins & Medals Corp. uses the domain name "israelmint.com". Then again, there is a coin distributor in the US named Royal Scandinavian Mint - guess what, it's not a mint either. :)

Christian

Ardatirion likes this.
  12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

For Israel's current circulation coins, go here http://www.bankisrael.gov.il/en/Currency/CurrentCurrencySeries/Pages/Default.aspx and click on the "coins" tab. :) But the poll question is kind of odd. Some recent Polish coins, for example, have been minted by the Royal Mint in the UK, even though there is a (very productive) Polish Mint in Warsaw. "False representation"? Of course not.

Christian

13. torontokuba

I wanted to see the ordered coins mentioned in the OP.

14. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

15. torontokuba

Come to think of it, as a collector, I'd feel more cheated if the country whose coins I collected was relatively small, had at least 5 mints and put out hundreds of millions of coins every year with 5 different mint marks. Germany has to have piles of some of the most worthless circulation coins in the world and they proudly mint all of them, themselves.

It's some of those poorer countries, which can't afford to mint coins every year, without their own mints, that provide us with some nice rare finds in the World Coin bins.

16. Tyberius Fox

Tyberius Fox New Member

The US has made coins for over 40 countries. It's quite common.

I actually challenged a friend of mine to get into world coins by collecting the coins made in the US.

torontokuba likes this.
  17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Whether you like the coins or not, oh well. :) But keep in mind that in Germany the mints (four mints, five locations) are state owned and operated, not by the federal government.

And yes, of course the question of where money is produced is a cost issue. Sweden for example is not exactly a poor country, and yet the Swedish coins are minted in Vantaa, Finland. And the "German" euro notes that the Bundesbank issues have come from two different companies in Germany but also from France or the Netherlands ...

Christian

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Interesting task or goal, but then your friend will not have any recent coins. If we do not count the Leif Erikson pieces (US/IS joint issue), the US Mint stopped producing coins for other countries roughly 30 years ago. Could be capacity reasons, don't know ...

Christian

19. onecenter

onecenter Member

I certainly learned something today. I had no idea about Israeli coins. Regardless of their mint of origin, the coin designs are distinctive.

20. torontokuba

81 million people, that's one mint for every 16 million citizens.:rolleyes:

Can you say State cash grab? I refuse to collect the same coin more than 3 times (P, D, S...;)) and one of them better not be proof. Five sets of the same coins to make up one year set. Get real. Respect for collectors, not watered-down collectables.

[​IMG]

21. Myron

Myron Senior Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I foolishly always believed that countries manufacture their own coinage. I now know the truth. It's cheaper to have coins minted by laborers in other countries. Israeli workers would ask for a high wage as the COL is very high. Euro coins are evidently not made in their home countries. Where are Euros minted?

Draft saved Draft deleted