No Hits, no runs, no errors...

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Brina, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

IMAGINE my delight when a recent trip to my bank turned up two rolls of 1979P SBA's in Fed wrappers.

No near dates, errors or even MS62 coins. EVERY coin had scratches or bag marks. I didn't even pull ONE coin aside for my collection.

Evidently, I was incorrect in assuming that these rolls would be uncirculated coins. When you get FRB -wrapped coins, shouldn't they be new?

One roll back to the bank and one roll to the wild. Thank you for your comments.

Attached Files:

ewomack likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Just because the coins have nicks, dings or bag marks doesn't mean that they aren't uncirculated. When I bought $50 bags of the 2004 Westward Journey nickels direct from the Mint, they were in such bad condition that they actually snagged my cotton gloves. ~ Chris

Brina likes this.
  4. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

My guess is that they aren't worth saving. For example, the NGC price guide specifies $5.00 for an MS-62. If I don't think that any would be worth having graded, would it make sense to save any of them? Isn't MS-62 scratch and mark-free? TY.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

There are thousands of these in storage as they do not circulate.

Brina likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Glad to hear you released some into the wild! :D

Brina likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that the mint does NOT roll coins, a third party does it for them. While a "Mint" roll is generally all one mint mark and uncirculated, any mixture of coins from a run could be included. Unless I'm misinformed, they take one of the ballistic bags of freshly minted coins and run them through their rolling machines. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Brina likes this.
  8. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

They may have been rolled 30 years ago, when dollar coins briefly circulated. Stored in the bottom of a bank vault since then. Most banks don’t get enough to even fill a roll. No place in their change drawers

Brina likes this.
  9. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

Yes, that would be the Federal Reserves that rolls coin.

I was surprised, however--that these rolls weren't all BU/AU coins...

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Brina, keep the old wrappers, they're probably more valuable. :)

Brina, Heavymetal and spirityoda like this.
  11. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Yeah the federal reserve no longer does rolling or distributing. It was outsourced to armored carriers a few years back whoever is the lowest bid for that area of the armored carrier services and now all the fed reserve does is bean count and oversight on the armored carriers and check on ft. Knox occasionally and focus on monetary policy making. The 12 Fed reserve banks all exist still though.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

No! "Scratch and mark-free", a coin would grade somewhere in the neighborhood of MS68 or MS69. ~ Chris

Brina likes this.
  13. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

Yes they're somewhere about 62-63, so no great shakes here, ty.

14. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

Draft saved Draft deleted