No grease.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by usmc60, Nov 18, 2016.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

We've had this discussion before. I accept the fact that a grease fill die is old terminology standard in describing a grease fill die. But with the modern production of coins today. That terminology is totally incorrect since there is virtually no grease involved in the production of coinage. If anything it is a debri and contaminant fill die. If a new member asked where did the grease come from. I personally cannot answer that question because most of the new production of coins the equipment is virtually grease free. So we have to tell it like it is today and production debris and contaminants caused by the production of coinage. Grease fill die may be acceptable 20 years ago but in today's printing process it is not a factor Debri and contaminants is the only factor and we should express that to any new members.And yes you have said it before that is well known terminology I totally agree. But in today's production of coinage it does not apply. And it is a false statement. Not only do we have to be honest with the new collectors but most of all you have to be honest with yourself. If it's older coinage the statement is correct. But with the new age of coin design and production the old terminology does not apply.USMC60

Eaglefawn, Brina and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Debris works for me. It covers most everything.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Coins are struck not printed. Paper currency is printed :rolleyes:

Kentucky likes this.
  5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

So you want to start calling it lubricant?

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not 100%..
    nose_picking_kid.jpg

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm not sure what's still on them when they are feed thru the press. I know they get cleaned but I'm sure there is still some oil/lubricant on them.
    It's just a term that has been around forever. Look at the term double die. Folks will always keep using it. We know that the correct term is doubled die. Look at the term cud. Years ago any blob was called a cud. Today most feel a cud must be connected with the rim. We will never all agree on what term is correct.

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Just curious....WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WERE ON THE FLOOR OF A U.S. MINT NEXT TO A WORKING HOROZONTAL COINING PRESS?

Although the lubricants change, vintage and "modern" coins still have struck thru's.
    Over the years, many TPGS no longer say what the imperfection is. Grease, dirt, filings, etc...WHO CARES! Now, a staple is a different thing. :D

Smojo, Kentucky and paddyman98 like this.
  9. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I dont know about you but this reddish brown gunk on this would say otherwise, it's not rust either.

0816160020.jpg
    1970s collar die from the San Francisco mint. Was used in making proof kennedys. This thing is covered in hardened grease. I cant imagine much changed since then.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Oh, the irony! Apparently this is another "do as he says and not as he does" type of thing.

12. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

My bag should I said production instead of printing.:bucktooth::blackalien:

Insider and paddyman98 like this.
  13. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

The answer to your question is as fast as I can go to YouTube. Went on the tour at the Denver mint in 2004 noticed a lot of change over in production equipment, the guide was not too healthful in the maintenance of the equipment. But I was told even then the mint is moving to a cleaner environment as far as the production of coins. And having worked around various types of machinery and equipment over the past 30 years there is changes every day. And I can asked you the same question.Oh you mean the one they're using now as far as the press.USMC60 Inside-View-of-Blanking-Press-at-Philadelphia-Mint-a-510x340-1.jpg

14. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Sir what you're showing is probably true like you said 1970s well over 30 years ago the good old days. Production and equipment has changed dramatically in those 30 years or more. And having said that metal lubricants have changed to.:jawdrop::blackalien:PS. What little information I have found so far. Back in the 70s it's a little different than what they do now I understand. All steel that was stored such as dies callers and so on are giving a light coat of a preservative to prevent rust. And before put into the equipment for operation dies callers and etc. are wipe down with a solvent to eliminate any kind of contaminants on the metal. This information is easily obtainable if you just do a little research.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  15. Insider

That's one of them and different from the ones I saw. Nevertheless, it still needs the lubrication that mixes with all sorts of "stuff" from the planchets during the process of making coins.

Fortunately, neither you or I will get the terminology changed any time soon. :kiss::kiss:

16. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Patty that's why I said virtually if I'm not mistaken that means not completely the same as not hundred percent. Hey did the kid ever get what he was digging for.LOL:happy::blackalien:

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. Evan8

This is a ridiculus discussion. How many terms do you want changed just to fit your fantasy idea of how you think coins are made? First you say all die breaks are cuds. Next you come up with the term "machinest error" which I still find hysterical. Now strike through grease. Maybe we should call it "strike through extraterrestrial foreign dark matter" cause im sure aliens fit somewhere into your "theories" too.

If you are so concerned with terminology maybe you should try writing a book explaining why all the numistmatists with years of experience are simply just wrong.

Cascade likes this.
  18. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Sir it's quite obvious by your response you have very little hands-on experience with machines or equipment or oils or lubricant or solvents. And Sir if you're in the real world a lot of the terms I use Is appropriate in the settings that I was in. And I do no why it upsets you so much because you do not understand or just disagree which is your right. And so I have the right to say what I want to say. And one thing you would know Sir if you actually worked in the real world any part of your life you would know one word can have several meanings.And it's quite obvious I'll have to break it down to you. You Sir interpret words your way. Another person interprets the word his way. Then another person now you have three different interpretations of just one word who is right (you).USMC60

19. Evan8

HA! Sorry I cant stop laughing at this!

"Very little hands on experience with machines or equipment or oils or lubricants or solvents."

Well maybe I should have told you before hand. Not only am I only 24 years of age and own my own mechanic shop. I am an automotive master tech who rebuilds engines on a daily basis. And let me tell you what, whether it be on my personal 1968 mustang or my 2000 Silverado or a customers 2013 camaro. They all have one thing in common. GREASE. OIL. LUBRICANTS. NOTHING HAS CHANGED IN LAST 50 YEARS WHEN IT COMES TO LUBRICANTS.

So please before you talk down to me again, please consider who you may be talking to before making snap judgments about what they do or do not know.

Stevearino, Insider and Cascade like this.
  20. Insider

Yeah, @usmc60. And it does not matter who we are, where we work, and how many meanings the same words have OUTSIDE OF NUMISMATICS. :p

21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You seem to have forgotten that "plated" and "fake" are one and the same, you "demon". ;)

In the OP's defense though, there's nothing wrong with making suggestions, but the problem is they're not made for the better but to suit his personal wants/views/desires.

Evan8 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted