No face penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kyle Ray, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Kyle Ray

Kyle Ray Batman

came from a new roll from the Mint. Has no face just a bump in the middle? Any idea

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Just damage probably from a grinding wheel.

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Ditto.

Markus1959 likes this.
  5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Sorry, that didn't just come from the mint no matter what roll it was in. It has PMD (post mint damage), it's worn, and the reverse hasn't been minted since before 2009. It may even be 1982 or before because I am not seeing a zinc rot layer in it.

cpm9ball and ken454 like this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

grinderrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Markus1959 likes this.
  7. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

agree with kasia, PMD and no way it came from a mint roll...

8. Kasia

If I was playing guess the date with myself (from looking at the reverse), I'd be guessing late 60's or sometime in the 70s. Of course I could be wrong, but I do better with that game when I have a coin in hand.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Missing Obverse... grinded off! :yack:

10. Kyle Ray

Kyle Ray Batman

Lol either way I'll keep it something different

ddollard58 and paddyman98 like this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I do better playing the game in a bar with a shot glass in hand.

Chris

Kirkuleez and Kasia like this.
  12. Kyle Ray

Kyle Ray Batman

By the coloring I'd say pre 80s as well

13. Kasia

That's a good variation on the game!

14. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Have a nickel like that, but no grinder marks. Looks like two nickels got struck at once. Someone wrote 5c on the blank side with a magic marker, which I have never tried to remove. Are errors of that type valuable?

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't think that is an error. If you have pictures and post them on a newly created unique thread please.

16. cpm9ball

So, you think it might be an error, huh? Then please explain how the coining chamber can operate with only one die in place. NOTE: This is intended to be a training exercise.

Chris

17. littlehugger

I didn't say.
    It looks like two nickels were together, and one was struck on the obverse, one on the reverse, while their facing sides remained blank.
    I have had it a long time. The face looks perfectly normal, and I just accidentally discovered the reverse was blank. It has 5c written on the blank side, and I have never bothered to examine it or try to get the marking off. I was never very interested in errors. Even if genuine, I doubt its worth a lot.

18. cpm9ball

If it was two planchets in the coining chamber at the same time, the force of the strike would probably fuse them together. I remember Charmy Harker posting a photo of 13 Lincoln cents that were fused together.

I didn't imply that you said anything. I meant it as a training exercise for you. Geez, doesn't anybody want to try to figure things out for themselves any more?

Chris

silentnviolent and rickmp like this.
  19. littlehugger

Its not fused, nor any indication of such. It seems to be a full weight nickel, with a blank side.
    Collecting has its niches. I would not call myself an expert, even in the area I most prefer, type coins, simply because its a huge amount of knowledge involved.
    I am married, with 3 sons, and another on the way. So this site is an indulgence for me. Even so, I only participate occasionally.
    Last, I don't actively collect errors. I just hold on to ones I stumble across.
    I have no thorough knowledge of the minting process, as to be able to figure it out. I do remember trying to pressure weld a couple of Lincoln cents in my dads vise when I was young. I used a hammer and damaged the threads. It made an impression on the cents, but not even close to force welding them.
    I don't know how it happened, and really cant take the time to pursue the issue.

silentnviolent likes this.
  20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I've seen an example of a pair of Indian cents that were struck together leaving one blank side of each coin. They didn't fuse together; each was in its own PCGS holder. I'll try to find some images.

21. cpm9ball

Usually, the simplest answer is the best!

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted