No Date Visible. Junk Silver bag?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by RIchard Abanes, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Sadly, I have several mercury dimes that are so worn there is no date any more. I am assuming these should just be relegated to my bag of junk silver along with a bunch of silver Washington quarters. Also, I am assuming that any AG-3 mercury dimes should also go into the junk silver bag. yes? IMG_8939.jpg S20210209_001.jpg S20210209_002.jpg S20210209_003.jpg S20210209_004.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

I'd say less than AG... I'd say poor... worth melt value

4. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I agree. Are the quarters as bad?

RIchard Abanes likes this.
  5. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yep, and dimes worn to that extent have probably lost 10% or more of their original weight, so "melt" for them is actually less than melt for (say) an equal number of Roosies. But you can usually find someone willing to buy them at or near the standard multiplier.

RIchard Abanes and DarkRage666 like this.
  7. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

I was thinking the same thing

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Just Cull Silver.. Silver melt value only

Kentucky and DarkRage666 like this.
  9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

This is one of those things where I just hate buying in a bulk lot. I'd rather go to my LCS and cherry pick coins that are average circulated to lots of detail left than to get coins that are worn slick or missing dates that they are so worn when I'm buying junk silver.

Unless you are buying them by face value, discounted as damaged/culls, I don't ever want to see that in my bag in my opinion. I'm not saying they have to be BU, I am saying they should be average circulated, or packaged by face value, then discounted for weight value.

10. They are not quite as bad, but seem to not at all be up to any level that will make them worth anything more than junk silver. Here's a pic. IMG_8940.jpg

11. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

You open to trading any of those Washington quarters on Numista? I might need a few for my albums. :happy:

Evan Saltis likes this.
  12. I yes, I agree these are less than AG.... I was just using AG as the lowest standard of measure. These dimes were definitely less than AG.

DarkRage666 likes this.
  13. TBH, I am soooo ignorant of EVERYTHING, I'd have no idea what to trade them for, no idea how to even use Numista, and no idea what I'm doing at all.... ROFL.... I seriously just started looking at these inherited coins THIS WEEK. LoL. But it's nic eto hear someone actually wanted to trade with me!!! LoL.

14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I'll offer you another website that I frequent. I love to play around with stacks of old silver. This is dead accurate to the minute.

www.coinflation.com

1stSgt22 and RIchard Abanes like this.
  15. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Coinflation as mentioned above is really brilliant!

RIchard Abanes likes this.
  16. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

I agree the dimes are melt value but the quarters are not! Even poor quality silver coins can have a collector value for a beginner if the date and mint marks are visible. Some of your quarters look fairly nice! I think you should first keep learning, then decide what to do with them!

17. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

The silver quarters should sell for around $6-$8 per quarter if thats your plan

18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I can say that back in the early 1990s when silver was dirt cheap I was buying bags of silver dimes and occasionally found some fairly well worn semi-key dates in them. Back then you could still find Barber dimes in batches of silver, my earliest found in a bag was an 1892.

And you have to watch those 1916 dated coins for the pretty unlikely but still hopeful D mintmark.

QuintupleSovereign likes this.
  19. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

As cool as those dimes are... I kick myself everytime I buy them out of the junk pile. 5-10 % wear down on silver.
    But sometimes I make a small buy just to get out of a coin shop...if it keeps me from making a dumber decision on something I see.

Anybody else do that?

20. I agree..... I really have NO IDEA what I'm doing now. And as with so many other areas in life, when that's the situation...... do nothing. LoL!

1stSgt22 likes this.
  21. OMG - just visited & played. LoL.... LOVE THIS SITE. HA!! Thank you!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted