No Date Jefferson Nickel HUGE Double Blob

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by TTuck, Jan 12, 2012.

1. TTuck

TTuck New Member

Is this just a huge cud over a cud? no date jefferson blob1.jpg no date blob jefferson 2.jpg Maybe it's a Double Die Bolb LOL!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. khay

khay New Member

Looks like it was hit with something a few times to flatten out the image there. The damage on that side of the back is why I think so... but we'll see if anyone agrees with me :p

4. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

It's a multi-level cud. The shape of the fracture zone can vary enormously from vertical, to sloping, to stepped. Yours falls into the last category.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Very cool! Can we see photos of the entire coin, obverse & reverse?

Chris

6. TTuck

TTuck New Member

Thanks Mike. Your are the Man! What kind of value do you think it has, if any?

7. mikediamond

Probably between $30 and $50.

8. TTuck

TTuck New Member

sweet thanks!

9. TTuck

TTuck New Member

enjoy no date nickel blob3.jpg no date nickel blob 4.jpg

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

khay-
    The reverse is weakly struck in the area directly opposite the cud. The roughness you see in that area of the reverse is the original unstruck planchet surface.

TTuck-
    Where did you find this coin?

11. TTuck

TTuck New Member

12. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

With the amount of nicks and wear from circulation, I can't help but think this happened post mint. I can't see this not getting snagged up by some one almost immediately after being released into circulation. But, I will not doubt a good explanation contradicting my opinion.

13. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

If Mike Diamond says it's an error, it's an error.

It would be really difficult to reproduce that kind of cud after striking. It's a nice specimen, given the strike I'll speculate this is a mid 80's nickel.

14. coinhead63

coinhead63 Not slabbed yet

If you look closely at the area in qyuestion on the obverse, you will see that the upset rim is intact and as a result of the break in the obverse, the reverse die graduates from normal strike to almost no strike in the immediate area of the "blob" on the obverse. Additionally, in order to flatten the image on the reverse, you would see a distortion of the rim making it out of round. In my opinion, this is a stepped cud, not a pmd

15. mikediamond

A featureless, often puckered area is always present opposite a large cud. That's for two reasons; 1) A lack of resistance to the impact of the intact die opposite the void in the opposite die, and 2) a tendency for coin metal to bulge and buckle into the void. This coin is undamaged and appears to be in uncirculated or AU condition.

16. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

If Merc Crazy says, if Mike Diamond says it's an error, then it's an error, then it's an error.

17. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

if gbroke says,
    If Merc Crazy says, if Mike Diamond says it's an error, then it's an error.

18. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

If Mark says, Gbroke says, Merc crazy says, Mike Diamond says its an error, then its an error.
    Then its an error

19. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I'd pay 10 cents for it. ;)

20. TTuck

TTuck New Member

Pocket Change! It's on EBAY if you like it.

21. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

If it's an error, Merc Crazy will say Mike Diamond said it's an error.

Draft saved Draft deleted