No Century for Old Men

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by +VGO.DVCKS, Sep 20, 2020.

1. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your offer, if you get the time and could actually scan it, not necessarily whole, but the bits and pieces most relevant to the early stages of coinage in Champagne, it would be great. Don't feel you have to, though!

Interesting thing: Cristophe's Type 2 stops with the death of Eudes and references Boudeau #1751, so I think Lafaurie's theory about the late 990s (996-999) for #1753 can be squeezed in.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@seth77, Yes, it took this long (--aggregate logistics? can we just not go there?), but I scanned a reasonable amount of the section of Christophe Adam's book (first name Christophe --yes, he had to help me with that, too), relating to issues of Provins and Sens. This starts in the 10th century, with the early 'GDR' immobilizations, and ends with the beginnings of the 'peigne' motif in the 11th.
    The plates in this interval aptly demonstrate Grierson's thesis that the latter evolved from the 'ODO' / Raoul monogram.
    ...Although for citations, Adam prefers 19th-c. French references (in which he must be remarkably fluent) to Grierson. Hmm. A llittle old-fashioned (relatively benign) nationalism going on here? Let's give it to him. :<} Anyway, I know how frustrating it is to rely on tertiary references to secondary sources, and wanted to give you some context.

Attached Files:

seth77 and Edessa like this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

...Now, back to the coat of arms, here's a contemporaneous lead seal of Alphonse that was listed on French ebay, a couple of years ago. Went for staggering amounts. ...Yeah, too bad about the reverse, but I'm (oxymoron alert: ) almost certain it was a detecting find.
    HERALDRY, LEAD SEAL, ALPHONSE, OBV. (FR.ebay).jpg HERALDRY, LEAD SEAL, ALPHONSE, REV., 40MM., 41 GRAMS (FR.ebay).jpg

seth77, Bing and Edessa like this.
  5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I was watching that seal and hoped people would be turned off by the large gash on the reverse.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted