No Cents and US Military Bases Overseas

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bonedigger, Aug 1, 2008.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'll have to check that out........:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

20170630_053022.jpg

Mainebill and green18 like this.
  4. armysgti

armysgti Active Member

Did " Old Ben " collect AAFES POGS ??

5. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

It is not interesting that military guys do not have a cent.
    (not special to the US military, same for all militaries in the world. Not special to the militaries, valid for everybody in the world.)
    If one has no cent/agora/etc, it is said everywhere that s/he is poor, so simple.

6. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

You're correct, noncents is everywhere today! LOL

JMHO

7. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

I was in Kuwait at the same time brother, Camp Virginia, Camp Arifjan, Ali Asalin, Camp Morell. I saved same pogs for the kids.

Jwt708 likes this.
  8. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

There are 497 POGs in the complete set and a man sells color catalogs and individual pieces on ebay. My set is missing almost 100 pieces. I have several hundred duplicates that I would love to trade for what I need. In the current price listings all of the elvis POGs are rated at $3 and most of the others under that level. Complete sets are offered on ebay for $1500.

9. harley bissell

I used a metal detector in Germany from 1974 to 1977. Buffalos and war nickels were easy to find in circulation although normal silver coins had disappeared from circulation.Don't recall whether cents were used in the PX but they could be cashed at the credit union and on base banks and I was digging cents as new as 1970 according to my ledger of finds. German coin shops had a junk bin of foreign coins price at ten coins per mark. I took any coin with a face value of more than a nickel and any obsolete type coins no matter what the face value. No silver coins were in the bins but many were available for a premium. When I arrived US $20 gold pieces were available from the bank for $40 if they chose the date and $80 if you chose the date. People who spent the extra money told me there were no better dates and no high grades. Lotteries for the various states offered payments of the grand prize in your choice of any currency in the world OR gold at the spot price on the day of the drawing.

10. ErolGarip

ErolGarip Active Member

It is a word game, isn't it? Noncents and nonsense.
    Indeed, isn't it nonsense that some people say "I am rich, but, I don't have a cent"..
    Is this a joke or what? are they aware of what they are saying?.

Ps: "iamrich", I see your profile, saying "BSEE/BSME/MBA/PhD and JD? (graduate of Law School?) and still learning..." and your occupation is "whatever is needed, of interest at the moment"...
    Good. You are needed now, you may be interested in, there is still a thing or two to be learnt for people, you are invited here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/coin-without-any-number-figure.299880/page-4

11. armysgti

armysgti Active Member

Harley,
    Appreciate the post. That catalog is very helpful. .. Give me a list of what you are missing and or the Pogs you have duplicates of .. I would give you a far better deal / trade then what you will find on Ebay. $1500 for an entire set ?? I have seen the Elvis pogs sell for $25-30.00 on Ebay. The set face value isnt even $ 75.00 .. Quick list of what I need.

2nd Printing released April 2003 (NO DATE on Top of Pogs)

2A5,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,J,K,L,M (12) nickels

2A10,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,J,K,L,M (12) dimes

2A25,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,J,K,L,M (12 ) qtrs

3rd Printing Dec (2003)

3A25,B,E,K,L, (5) qtrs

6th Printing Feb (2005)

6D10,6L10 6M10 w and w/o dimes

Let me know if you can assist !

Vr,
    Tracy

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Careful guys...can't do Buy/Sell/Trade in open forums. Has to be a private message.

13. armysgti

armysgti Active Member

JWT,
    We were just mentioning observations on Ebay .. But , yes, I can see how they may look negatively at the post. HARLEY >> My email is Armysgti@yahoo.com if you would like to take this off the site ....

14. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I remember when I was in Vietnam 1969-1970 we used MPC with some really neat looking designs. I recall Sitting Bull on a red colored $20 bill. I think denominations were 5, 10, 25 and 50 cents. $1, $5, $10 and $20. Wish I had saved some of it. The army would secretly spring a "C Day" every so often, where the bases were closed and everyone was to exchange their suddenly no good old money for new. I do not remember how this was accomplished for troops in the field. The Vietnamese outside who were illegally holding MPC would be frantic to change their money, but I guess most often were stuck with worthless notes. As for greenbacks, it was a court martial offense to possess any real US money in country. When going on R & R, we would be allowed to exchange our MPC for greenbacks, inside a controlled area prior to departure.

Jwt708 likes this.
  15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I collect MPC also...only have a couple notes though. My understanding was the guys on patrol were not allowed to exchange their obsolete notes.

16. armysgti

armysgti Active Member

Interesting storylines on the MPC's ... Thanks CoinNUT and JWT for sharing !!!

17. harley bissell

Thank you Tracy, I have made a copy of your want list and will be contacting you off site. I've heard about the private message function. I have not used it and would have to learn how. I just got my copy of the catalog and have not yet made a want list or a trade list. You can expect to hear from me by Sunday with my email address then I'll contact you again when I can search for your wants and tell you what I need. As to ebay many people will pay any price for one of what they want. I've seen high prices and immediately listed the same thing and only got 10% of the auction I saw. Makes me wonder. Welcome Home, Harley Bissell

18. armysgti

armysgti Active Member

Thanks Harley.. Look forward to it. Have a Great Week.
    Tracy

19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

What catalog? Their used to be a website that had images and it's own catalog system but it's no longer active as far as I know.

20. armysgti

armysgti Active Member

JWT,
    Yes , you are correct. That was a great site. Most of the Catalog sold by Barry1270 was from info off of the site. He doesnt have anything posted for sale at this time. It was a 60 Pages Reference Book of AAFES Pog W full Color Picture of all 497 Diff. Pogs .. Very informative, all the info you need at your fingertips. Tracy

21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Carlson Chambliss' "Comprehensive Catalog of Military Payment Certificates" gives each a number. I don't remember if they're all imaged...can't find my copy of the book right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted