No Bull, I Won a Plate Coin!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Exceptionnal coin @David Atherton

Since I've shown my plate coins many times lately, let me show a bull I've only shown two dozens times :)

0030-210.jpg

Q

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Thank you for posting the Augustan proto-type that inspired the Flavian bull.
    Wonderful coin!

Cucumbor likes this.
  4. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Now you have me wondering if that wonderful Augustus might have been inspired by an even earlier prototype.
    Syracuse Bull.jpg
    Sicily, Syracuse, Time of Hieron II, circa 274-269/65 BC, AE (19mm, 4.47g)
    Obv: Wreathed head of Persephone left; ΣYRAKOΣIΩN before, grape bunch behind
    Rev: Bull charging left; I in exergue

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  5. Kavax

Kavax Well-Known Member

I have several plate coins but my favourite is a SNG Spencer-Churchill coin (#62) wich is also the cover coin of the catalogue Leu 6 1973, the sale of the famous Virzi collection.

Sicily. Syracuse. Timoleon and the Third Democracy, 344-317 BC. Dilitron (Bronze, 21.22g), Timoleontic Symmachy coinage, c. 339/8-334 BC.
    ΖΕΥΣ ΕΛΕΥΘΕΡΙΟΣ Laureate head of Zeus Eleutherios to left.
    Rev. ΣΥΡΑΚΟΣΙΩΝ Ηorse prancing to left.

SNG Spencer 2.JPG
    SNG Spencer.JPG
    Timoleon LEU_6.JPG

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Humped - ex Mabbott (Schulman, June 1969 lot 4126) - When I bought this (Stacks, 1994), fewer people were chasing provenance and I only won it because of the damage. I was collecting coins in 1969 but not at a level that would receive Schulman catalogs. Does anyone have that one? The online version (page 16) calls it a bull but I was not smart enough to find the plates online. I do wonder if the plated coin shows the edge notch.
    https://archive.org/details/thomasollivemabb00hans_0/page/16/mode/2up
    rb1340bb0991.jpg

7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

An incredible acquisition @David Atherton Congrats on a great purchase.

I have a number of plate coins and I love them all.

LMCC plate coin

cons 170.jpg

Vespasian RIC 773 (This is the RIC reference coin. There is no plate for this coin in RIC). There is one other known and that is owned by @David Atherton

Vespasian RIC 773 new.jpeg

This is another RIC plate coin and a very rare left-facing denarius for Domitian.

new d597.jpg

This one was issued by Augustus. It is a plate coin in McAlee's The coinage of Roman Antioch.
    Augustus Phillip I CNG 272.jpg

Here is a Dattari plate coin of Tiberius.
    Tiberius Dattari 103.jpg

Here is a unique Dattari plate coin for Vespasian.
    vrpc2446.jpg

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

What a stunning and important coin to acquire for your collection, David. Congrats!

My only Flavian plate coin is this provincial, ex BCD, and illustrated in RPC.

Domitian - Corinth 2091 RPC Plate.jpg
    DOMITIAN
    AE22. 7.85g, 22mm. CORINTHIA, Corinth, circa AD 81-96. BCD Corinth 533 (this coin); RPC 128/1 (this coin illustrated, erroneously shown as 127 on Plate 6). O: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM, radiate head right. R: COL IVL AVG COR, Chimera advancing right.
    Ex BCD Collection, ex Lanz sale 105, 2001, lot 533

9. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

a lovely coin....it looks like the notch was there in 1969
    upload_2021-7-12_6-28-13.png

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Thank you for sharing your example Doug. I've admired it for quite some time!

11. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted