No better way to spend a saturday evening

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I'm implementing my new tag system, this time it's a tag that folds with information on the coin in the front, and my collection name and notes in the reverse of the tag. I wish I had done it like this from the beginning. It would have saved me tons of time.

20161001_165925.jpg

Thankfully salvation is at hand in the form of a bottle of vodka and a bucket of ice to help the process move along more smoothly and efficiently. :cool:

The key is to balance the task vs. the vodka. Don't want to end up writing gibberish one hour from now.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Is that a table in MS Word? Do you populate it manually or from information in a database or spreadsheet?

4. Sallent

MS Word: I'm doing it the hard way...but I'm going to save every single one in case I need to make changes in the future.

I also have to re-do my database completely. It is a mess because I haven't changed any formatting/style of anything since I first put it together when I was a newby, and it leaves out crucial info, etc. That's what I get for leaving things as is this long, despite the lessons on how to do it better that I learned along the way.

5. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Speaking from bitter experience, just remember to back up your files.

If you don't use a bank deposit box, I would seriously consider finding somewhere online, I use Tantaluscoins, others use FAC, an album on this site. A picture is worth a thousand words if they are stolen.

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, there are far better ways to spend a Saturday night, but I get what you're saying

;)

... hey dawg, I'm glad that you're settled-in and working on a cool chore (have a great night, my coin friend)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  7. Sallent

One neat advantage to the foldable tags is that you can put the old/vintage tags in between and my tag protects them sort of like a protective sleve, so they are not rubbing against the plastic of the 2x2 album pages...and they don't also show when one flips the page, so the collection looks more uniform with only my tag visible on both sides.

8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I think I might have to copy that. If you do not mind me asking what are the dimensions for the table and what is the font size?

9. Sallent

I basically played with it until it fit snugly into the space of a 2x2 holder in the album pages...which means they should also fit snugly into a saflip coin holder (in case you want to sell a coin or whatever). The font size is 8, and it's Times New Roman.

Mikey Zee, Alegandron and Orfew like this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, I always feel so fricken smug when I see that you dudes are still storing your coins in lil' flips and you're all constrained to a quick and dirty description!!

=> relax, take a breath and write whatever you want about your coins .... oh, and post and print as many cool photos as you want ... hey, you can even print-out wiki-articles ...

or wait => hey I don't want to blow your coin-minds, but I've even printed-out a few of our coin threads and attached them directly to my coin-records ...

Yes, once again I'm gonna try to peddle my sweet stevex6 way of storing and viewing your coins ... maybe, just maybe, I'll end-up recruiting at least one dude that'll thank me for the rest of his coin-life?

trimmed safe.jpg IMG_0409.JPG IMG_2305.JPG IMG_2306.JPG IMG_2304.JPG IMG_4615.JPG

11. Sallent

You do it your way, I'll do it the right way. See what I did there? ;)

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ahahaha, yah maybe you're correct ... but being a dick isn't always the right way either (see what you did there?) ;)

Again, lawyer ... I'm 100% glad to see that you have a great night set-up for yourself (I'm honestly jealous that you're so pysched for your chore)

you rock, congrats

Mikey Zee, Alegandron and Sallent like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Question for you folks who are printing your own inserts: are you using ink jet or laser?

Some coins I've purchased came with home printer inserts. The ink bound to the flip. It was hard to remove those inserts and some of the ink transferred to the flip. They were soft flips-- maybe ink "gluing" isn't a problem with PVC-free flips? I haven't tried it.

I'd love to have neat computer-printed labels but went with hand-written modified business card inserts because those dang Saflips are so stiff. It is just about impossible to remove an insert without tweezers unless the insert paper is also very stiff, and the logo ink doesn't stick to the flip.

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:eek:

yup, thanks TIF ... just another reason to follow stevex6 over the coin-cliff!!

=> I'm PVC free!!

15. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@TIF

I use an inkjet printer with 24lb paper. I also use Saflips and I have never noticed any ink transfer. Inserting them into the flip can be fun. I usually trim the paper to give myself a bit more room.

Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  16. Sallent

Some of my oldest tags are coming up on one year and there is no ink transfer unto the album pages. I use jet ink and a Brother Printer. No issue there

Oh, and I use 2x2 cardboard flips. I press down the staples, and then I need to take a coin out on rare occasion, I do it by breaking the mylar on the flip...that way I don't have to deal with staples.

The down side is the coin is entombed. Not to the same level as a slab, buy it's not readily accessible for holding. That's the one downside of my way.

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I give up ... you dudes are hopeless

=> I love most of you, but it's time to cook and relax

Have a great night talking about ink and PVC, my awesome friends

cheers

18. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I use laser, but the tags are stored in an index box. An acid free label goes with the coin and I use pencil to write on it. I don't think printers have been around long enough to know whether there would be any problems caused by printer ink. So long as we do regular checks, things should be ok. My handwriting is not nice enough to use on the tags. I want to still be able to read it a week after writing it.

Mikey Zee, TIF and Paul M. like this.
  19. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

stevex6 likes this.
  20. Sallent

A gun safe in Canada? Quick, someone call Mounty Dudley Do-Right. I hear he is Canada's top law enforcent guy, appointed by Prime Minister Bullwinkle J. Moose himself. What a swell guy.

See, us Americans do know something about Canada.

21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I envy your meticulous organization!

I'm PVC-free too, but at the moment am storing coins in flips. I'd love to use trays. Maybe someday.

Mikey Zee, Pishpash and stevex6 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted