No! Bad Byzantine bronze! Bad boy!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Dec 10, 2016.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

You don't make me go out and spend hundreds of dollars on one of your brothers! Go back into your 2x2 case!

This is the Maurice Tiberius half-follis that spurred me into buying a solidus of this emperor. Wasn't initially going to buy a solidus but, it happened lol. This one is weak in a few areas but besides this I find it a very attractive bronze. It was up for auction twice. The first time I guess I didn't pay too much attention to it and I didn't bid. Second time around I took a closer look and I was convinced I wanted it. Won it for cheap as the only bidder. MT is now a lot higher on my list ultimately because of this coin :) Now I kinda wish I included it in my favorites list. Eh... I'll throw it into a #6-#10 thread or something :D

Please post your MT coins!

Maurice Tiberius, Byzantine Empire
    AE half-follis
    Obv: D N MAVRC TIB P P AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust facing, cloak drawn over left shoulder, holding cross on globe
    Rev: Large K, cross above, ANNO to left, regnal year VIII in two lines to right
    Mint: Thessalonica
    Mintmark: TES
    Date: 589 AD
    Ref: SB 509

mthalf.jpg

Map of Maurice's empire (yellow) in 600 AD:

[​IMG]

JBGood, David Atherton, TIF and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Jango => congrats on digging-deep and splurging on your new OP-gem!!

Ummm, I only have one Mo-Tib example, but I love it ... even without a snout

Maurice Tiberius AE Follis.jpg

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Maurice Tiberius is interesting for the garbled legends and number of his coins that (like Steve's) do not have the name Maurice. There are many 'different' ones. My Antioch follis is unusual with the year 8 expressed with the III over the U. Sear 532 lists this year this way, with the U on top and with 6II using the curved top six letter. He describes the obverse legend as "badly blundered". Steve is missing a 'snout'. Mine has nose but what happened to my eagle? rz0225bb2962.jpg

My half follis does not have to worry about legends being blundered. By the time they finished cutting down the earlier coin used as a flan, there was no room for legend. My guess is Sear 497 but I read the officina as A rather than delta so may be completely wrong. When I bought this, it was my best example of a cut down flan.
    rz0222fd3381.jpg

Alegandron, JBGood, TIF and 9 others like this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Cool addition!!

My only example of Maurice:
    maurice Tiberius.jpg

Alegandron, JBGood, TIF and 7 others like this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

here's a MT half follis i purchased by mistake....

[​IMG]

i meant to buy a coin of tiberius ii constantine....and my brain short circuited. maybe it was the visible "Tib" in the legend? oh well, i didn't have a MT half follis anyway.

yours is pretty nice VK!

Alegandron, JBGood, Mikey Zee and 7 others like this.
  7. ValiantKnight

Great coins all and thanks for the comments!

8. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

Maurice Tiberius AV Solidus.jpg

Here is my MT solidus.except for the graffito in the right field its pretty sweet.

9. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

The more Byzantine coins I see, the more I like them, and the more that I buy. Very nice portrait on the OP coin. I have a few coins from MT:

Byzantine Empire: Maurice Tiberius (582-602 AD) Æ Pentanummium, Antioch (Sear-539; MIB-103)

Obv: Sear Monogram 15 of Maurice Tiberius
    Rev: Large Ч, pellet within, cross above

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Maurice Tiberius (582-602) 8 pentanummi (Follis), Cherson Mint (Sear-607, DOC-303)

Obv: Maurice and the Empress Constantina standing facing, both haloed, holding a globus cruciger one, the other a long cruciform scepter. Cross between heads. Legend aroud - DNmAV[...]PPAVG
    Rev: Theodosius, son of Maurice, standing facing, nimbus, holding a long cross. Right, H with a cross above.

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Maurice Tiberius (582-602) Follis, Antioch Mint (Sear-532)

Obv: Crowned facing bust, wearing consular robe, holding mappa and eagle-tipped sceptre.
    Rev: Large m between A/N/N/O and II; above, cross; in exergue, THEYP.

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Maurice Tiberius (582-602) Æ Decanummium, Catania Mint (Sear-581; DOC-265; MIB-136d)

Obv: Cuirassed bust facing, wearing plumed helmet holding globus cruciger
    Rev: Large I; at left, ΛNNO, at right, X II; CΛT in exergue

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Maurice Tiberius (582-602) Æ Decanummium, Syracuse Mint (Sear-583; DOC-281)

Obv: Helmeted, draped, and cuirassed bust facing, holding globus cruciger
    Rev: Large X; SE CI LI A in angles

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Maurice Tiberius (582-602) Æ Decanummium, Theoupolis (Sear-536; DOC 196; MIBE-100b)

Obv: Crowned facing bust, holding mappa and eagle-tipped scepter
    Rev: Large X; cross above, e below; A/N/N/O III (date) across field

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Maurice Tiberius (582-602) Æ Half Follis, Cyzicus Mint (Sear-497; DOC 139b; MIBE-88D)

Obv: [O] N mAVRIC TIЬЄR PPA; Bust facing, wearing cuirass and crown with cross; in right hand, globus cruciger
    Rev: Large K; cross above; to left ANNO, to right GI, B below

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Maurice Tiberius (582-602) Follis, Kyzikos (Sear-512)

Obv: D N mAVRIC TIbER P P A.
    Helmeted and cuirassed bust facing, holding globus cruciger and shield.
    Rev: Large M between A/N/N/O and G (date); above, cross; beneath, A; in exergue, NIKO.

[​IMG]

10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Here's a Decanummium with a dark obverse.

Maurice T  R DecaNummi.jpg Maurice SB498          Tiberius.jpg

11. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

By Jove! That's from Carthage!

12. ValiantKnight

Nice coins all! I especially like the Syracuse bronzes. And the Carthage solidus is great!

Draft saved Draft deleted