NO arguing, criticizing, or debating post a coin thread.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Morgandude11, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Lately, it has been hard to post anything without getting at least 3-25 angry or highly critical responses, even to the most innocuous comments. So let us just have fun and post a coin that you like, and tell why it is important to you. Let's try for NO criticism, or cynical/harsh comments, and see if this can actually get going without angry or vehement debate.

I like the Smithsonian Commemorative, as it celebrates learning and literacy, and all the wonderful things that the Library of Congress has done for our knowledge base. I also think it is beautiful design, and a nice example of the date:

1996D-1.jpg 1996D-2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

A beautiful coin! That is the kind of artistry we need and want in commems.

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Probably my most recent numismatic acquisition from an auction a few months ago:

[​IMG]

I have owned a well beaten tuppence for over 20 years. But I wanted a nice representative example of this coinage that was created specifically for the American colonies. This is a penny that was minted by William Wood in Bath metal, a composition of bronze and a trace amount of silver. Curiously this is actually a prototype piece that was only minted in small numbers - there are 24 pellets in the centre of the rose, whereas most known varieties only have 16 pellets. These, along with the Woods Hibernia coinage, were not popular and really didn't see circulation in most of the colonies - legislation had even been passed in Massachusetts prohibiting their usage.

5. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

I found this while CRH half dollars. What it was doing in a roll of US half dollars, 100 years after it was minted, is ANYone's guess.

I collect because I adore the "what ifs" of a coin. The stories it could tell, the transactions it must have been a part of, the history it's seen. Just think, it's even possible that this coin was in the pocket of a Titanic survivor.

1912_ProCoin.jpg

6. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

I really like the Smithsonian commemorative also and have never really noticed it before. I guess that was from a time before the "military" motif was so pervasive in American commemoratives. Do you have the proof version also? If so, do you still prefer the uncirculated?

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I like this coin because it was a gift from my good buddy Shane, aka Kryptonitecomics.

Chris

Attached Files:

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I never really looked at this coin until you posted it. It appears that lady liberty is riding the World side-saddle.

I have collected the modern commemorative half dollars over the years. Unfortunately for me, the mint hasn't made as many half dollars as they have dollar coins. The 50 cent coins have now essentially filled one page in a half dollar Dansco. I don't have a photo to share so here are some random pages from the 7070 Dansco.

Attached Files:

9. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

35BSilverCertFront.jpg
    I don't have any images of some of my favorite coins on my work computer, but how about a crisp 35 silver cert with a nice low number?

10. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Love the random 7070 snapshots, and still love seeing yours.

11. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I have been practicing some "Tru-view" style imaging lately. Here is a little wallpaper I made with some of the images.

I could never really pick just one favorite Jefferson.
    Who says Jefferson's can't be beautiful?

[​IMG]

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree. I would say this coin is one of the highlights of modern US commemoratives.

13. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Here's a random piece I picked up a few months ago. And no, thats not Superman beating a bear over the head with a pipe wrench.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. cpm9ball

I wish people wouldn't post their photos on the wings of a jumbo jet. I get dizzy scrolling back and forth.

Chris

15. medoraman

[Ctrl] and mouse wheel are your friend. I simply resize on the fly when I come across such posts. :)

16. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Adjust your monitor. All pics on this page are the same size on my screen.

17. cpm9ball

Yeah, I knew that, Chris, but then I need the Hubble telescope to read the text. I'm serious, some of the posts are 5-10 times wider than the photos. Take this thread, for example. The horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of my page is only one-fifth as wide as the entire page.

Chris, too!

18. medoraman

I believe that is more your browser/site settings then man. I see everything fine with no scrolling and readable texts.

OP, sorry for taking your thread OT.

19. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Chris,

This used to happen to me as well. It doesn't anymore though. This thread or any thread never has a horizontal scroll.
    Not sure why it doesn't do it anymore. Glad I could help!

Have you updated your browser lately or tried chrome?

20. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Those are some mighty fine coins Collect89.

21. medoraman

Sogdian, Chach 8th century AD bronze

soghd2.JPG

Here is a coin I bet most of you will hate. I agree its hard to love this coin, but if you notice on the obverse there is a cross next to the face. This is a rare variety of this rare coin in which the die maker put a cross in instead of the design that was supposed to be there.

The importance of this cross is that the Christians in Sogdia at the time were Eastern Christians. The Eastern Christian church subsequently was destroyed by both Chinese uprisings and the rise of Islam. This was an important early branch of the church that is nearly unknown today. Any kind of artifact from this church is rare, and their books and teaching were totally destroyed.

A coin doesn't have to be pretty to be important to either someone or the world in general. :)

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted