NNC coin , opinions ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Barber dime 94s, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Barber dime 94s

Barber dime 94s Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg This is a Ms63 NNC barber dime , I believe it looks AU 58 or so .. Do you guys see any problems with this coin , other than it being over graded ? I can purachase it for low AU price .. Just wanted a few opinions on it !

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Barber dime 94s

So really what I'm asking is if I can get it for say au50 money , would that be fair ?
    It appears to have a few to many Digs and hits to be ms63 ..
    Overgraded I can live with , problem coin in problem free holder I can't !

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Looks like a nice AU-58 to me.

Barber dime 94s likes this.
  5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

My first take is that it is AU and dipped a lot. However, there is nothing specific I can point to as an indicator.

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Am I seeing clashing in right obverse field and below the word Dime? Interesting if so and if price were right I would buy for this alone. That's just me though.

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Clash or planchet error?

8. Barber dime 94s

So other than it being over graded , you guys don't see any thing that would label it as a details or problem coin by a top company?

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If as someone suggested it might be dipped, no. But if this is a clash you would be better to send to ANAC's.

10. Barber dime 94s

I havnt purachased it yet , but from the pcgs video I watch a few days ago they don't consider dipping as a cleaning , unless it's been dipped to the point the luster has been eaten away .. This coin seems to have lots of luster ! I'm kinda on the fence about buying it though !

11. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

Looks like a nice AU ish coin.
    What ever is going on under the word dime would
    keep me from buying it minor hits and bumps don't
    bother me as much as that spot does.
    1911 is a fairly common date so finding one a little beter
    shouldn't be to difficult.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am seeing lots of shine, but not much luster. Maybe it is the pictures, but that is my opinion.

13. Barber dime 94s

Is that not a clash under the word dime ?

14. Barber dime 94s

Here's a AU )58 ngc dime image.jpg

15. Barber dime 94s

image.jpg Here's the one in question !
    I don't meAn this the wrong way, it seems you can't tell the different from ( shine) and luster .. As the only difference I see in these coins is the color of the toning ( ones blast white ) one has a goldish color !

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Sorry, but there is not question there. Do you know what cart wheel luster is? Regardless of the color, they should both have some cart wheel affect if there is luster. If that NNC has weaker cart wheels than the NGC, then the NNC has most likely been over-dipped.

17. Barber dime 94s

Yes I understand that , what I was getting at is from the two photos the amount and type of luster look about the same .. The ngc coin was good enough for them to grade .. I understand you have the best of intentions , but how can you tell one coins has been over dipped when the luster appears the same as the ngc coin?

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If you are looking for luster in those photos, you do not understand luster. Very few photos actually show luster. This is one of the better I have. That X you see will rotate as you rock the coin. If you cannot see something similar rotating, it is not luster. Over dipped or polished coins will have nice shine, but not luster.

upload_2015-7-3_22-9-1.jpeg

Paul M. likes this.
  19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm seeing little to no luster. I don't feel it would straight grade at NGC or PCGS.

20. Barber dime 94s

You guys aren't getting what I'm saying , the top coin that is graded au58 by ngc show no more luster than the nnc coin .. That's what I'm trying to say .. I can't figure out how you can say the nnc coin has no luster but the top photo of the ngc coin does ?

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is not what we are saying. It is nearly impossible to see luster in those photos - either of them. That is why I showed you how to see luster. You make the call. If you know luster and say the NNC has good luster, so be it. Mostly a guess, but I stand by my original guess from those photos.

KoinJester, ldhair and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted