Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Joe kool, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Ok guys theres 3 nickels 1976 has so many issues I dont even know where to start letters on reverse are all messed up (for one the t in states is broken. I thin it was going to be something else very thick as you can see in the picture of the 3 together. 1974 nickel is textured with a huge blob on the back. Last but not least the grey one has no date and it looks a line that a buffalo nickel usually has on it. Help me out. I know you guys are coin gurus! 20190708_182942.jpg 20190708_183001.jpg 20190708_183012.jpg 20190708_183021.jpg 20190708_183031.jpg 20190708_183041.jpg 20190708_183048.jpg 20190708_183129.jpg 20190708_183205.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

First has seen some sort of corrosive. Acid or something. Just damage
    Second has been ground down on Montecello on the reverse. Just damage.
    Third looks to have spent time in a dryer. Just damage.

TLDR: All just damaged. Not errors.

4. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

If anyone ever says "face value", then send them a PM that they can have them for face + postage, then post their response ON THE BOARDS.

ed.:
    I have a feeling that some horse's hindquarters will vacate the boards thereafter ;)

5. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

The one you are seeing and saying ground down is very thick. That actually sits flat with the edge now. The fisrt and the one you say spent time in a dryer is the same coin. I'm sorry I'm wrong

6. furryfrog02

I was just going based off the order of the pictures. Still doesn’t change my assertion that they are all just damaged.

7. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

How is this corrosive. Its thicker than monticello.

Attached Files:

8. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Monticello. Looks like molten nickel

9. furryfrog02

Solder probably.

10. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Gonna try iron on it to see. But if I'm correct solder shouldn't have stuck to it

11. furryfrog02

Well you wouldn’t be correct. We have seen plenty of coins here with solder blobs on them. Sorry but it is just damaged.

12. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Iron heating up. Why would the other one be so thick

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Damaged.....

14. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

That didnt do anything but get solder from the iron on it. I had to use solder tape to get it off. Lol

15. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Ok I keep seeing DAMAGE. sounds like me asking my 4 yrs old beside me why is his legos not together. Well dad it's just broke. Could you give me just a little more. I'm trying to learn here. I know you started at the bottom at one time. Since you guys have seen it all. What type of things would cause these damages. And dont tell me a dryer. I have ran plenty of change thru the wash including nickels that have sit in the lint trap for some time. None came out looking anywhere close to any of these. Unless you're talking about some other kind of dryer. Or is this one of those forums that only the collectors that have been doing it for at least 10 to 20 years dont get bashed

16. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

This is what another collector says. Now I got to figure out who to believe hmmmm
    The thickness is because of the angled hit of the hammer(_obverse) die. More pressure was applied in area of wide rim causing(forcing) metal of planchet to be pushed upwards along collar of press, called Misaligned Die (MAD)

17. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

ERROR-REF.COM

You are here: Home / Wide Collar
    Wide Collar
    Part IV. Die Errors:
    Collar Manufacturing Errors:
    Wide Collar

Definition: A coin struck inside a collar whose diameter is wider than normal. This rare error is subtle and is often only detected when an otherwise normal-looking coin gets stuck in a plastic storage tube or won’t fit in its designated hole inside a cardboard Dansco album.

An abnormally wide collar can arise in several ways:

1. A collar intended for a different (perhaps foreign) denomination is inadvertently installed in a press.
    2. A smooth-faced collar is mistakenly machined too wide.
    3. A reeded collar is widened beyond normal tolerances through the use of an incorrect ridged broach that is
    hammered into the collar opening.
    4. A normal collar is not replaced in a timely manner and widens due to prolonged use.
    5. The presence of three or more vertical collar cracks allows the collar to expand.The last two circumstances are probably the most common causes of this error.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

This 1918 cent was struck in a collar that expanded due to the presence of four vertical collar cracks. Its diameter
    measures 19.45 mm instead of the normal 19.05 mm.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The above 1999-P dime was struck in an abnormally wide collar. The diameter of this dime measures 18.24 mm instead of the normal 17.91 mm. It’s likely that the collar expanded due to the relentless pounding involved in restraining hundreds of thousands of planchets. The edge is slightly convex in vertical cross-section, which is consistent with this scenario. This dime also shows a case of surface film transfer on the obverse face. This type of error occurs when the preceding coin is double struck with movement between strikes. If either the coin or the die is grimy, a shadow image of the first strike is transferred to the die face and then transferred back to the next planchet.

For more information on wide collar errors see the May 17, 2010 Coin World.

Home

Copyright © 2019
    Wow! Really guys glad I was a little sceptical!

18. furryfrog02

How about you post one coin at a time and ask questions pertaining to just that coin. I think things are getting muddled on your end as to which coins we are talking about. Either way, all the coins that you posted pictures of are damaged in one way or another. I'm not sure which coin you are talking about being MAD, but based on the pics provided, none of your coins exhibit a misaligned die.

19. furryfrog02

That is not what your coin is...

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Dear god. The coins are just damaged. That's all it is. No one can tell you for sure how they were damaged. All anyone can do is just guess.
    If you don't want to believe what you are being told, send the coins in to a TPG and waist $50 per coin.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  21. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Guess I'm going go at this alone. A 1976 nickel is supposed to be 21.21mm this nickel is 20.73mm diameter. God I hate people that think everyone is a moron except people they know. You should not be answering any questions about any coins. Yes you should have asked more about the coins. You are the type of person that makes people want to give up. Yes kick me off the forum that's fine if that's the kind of help you give people just to have others chime in with you. That 1976 nickel is damaged. Right there at the mint.

Draft saved Draft deleted