Nickel with two mintmarks?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by flipacoin, Jun 14, 2015.

1. flipacoin

flipacoin Active Member

I was tooling around with my new usb microscope and noticed, what looks to me, to be an S mintmark beside the Monticello on this Type 2 P nickel nickel 2.jpg nickel 3.jpg nickel 3.jpg nickel 4.jpg nickel 5.jpg nickel 6.jpg 1942 p.jpg nickel 19.jpg nickel 19.jpg nickel 2.jpg nickel 3.jpg nickel 4.jpg nickel 5.jpg nickel 6.jpg 1942 p.jpg nickel 19.jpg nickel 12.jpg . I took a few pics and would like some opinions on this please. Thanks, Jonathan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I think your seeing things. cause I'm not seeing anything

George Corell and Blissskr like this.
  4. flipacoin

flipacoin Active Member

This is what I'm seeing.
    nickel 3.jpg nickel 2.jpg

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Really? That's not a normal sized S mintmark for a coin milled at the P - Philadelphia Mint. Maybe debris of some kind.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that microscopes and coins do not mix - like eBay and alcohol.
    ;)

7. paddyman98

This is what a normal S Mintmark should look like -
    1940s.JPG

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. flipacoin

flipacoin Active Member

I'm not saying that it is or that it's not. This is the scientific process. I was just putting it up for analysis because even though it's not the same size or in the normal location, it looks like an s to me. Stranger things have happened.

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

Through my own scientific process I have determined that it is not. You did ask a question on your thread title so I gave my conclusive answer.

question.JPG

loopytoad74 likes this.
  10. flipacoin

flipacoin Active Member

and I appreciate your answer. Thanks

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I think our minds tend to matrix images out of random spots . Sort of like seeing a face in a stain on the wall . It's very common .

12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I disagree as I have found items on coins myself that I know to be there having the coin in hand. That S looks to have serifs. And in coin history there have been other items found on coins that by all means shouldn't been on them. "IE,the Super bird quarter "
    I believe that some mint worker's have been messing with some coins for years. Leaving hidden items on coins.

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

well placed, shaped PMD

14. Paddy54

Again I disagree as I have posted several coins with numbers or items that are raised medal . I also believe that the powers being don't recognize these as they can't explain them. The reason they can't is that again someone at the mint were playing around and stamped a letter etc into the die,or it's pmd.

But that is an S whom put it there is another question .
    Again explain the super bird quarter .

15. paddyman98

Maybe that micro s that you see is Super Bird's little chick that hatched in that little tiny corner of the building :rolleyes:

loopytoad74 likes this.
  16. it looks like crud with the shape of an s

paddyman98 and Rick Stachowski like this.
  17. Paddy54

So I'm guessing that the two under the 1862 on this half dime isn't there? And the 5 in the denticales on this 1876 SLQ isn't there also? The smaller 7 under the larger one crud huh? The star in the shield on this IHC isn't there correct? Well you believe what ever you wish they are all there and all are raised medal.

1862 2 half dime date.jpg 1862 date croped.jpg 1876 date 2 crop.jpg 1847-7 or MPD.jpg IHC 1884 Shield star.jpg

18. paddyman98

Paddy.. as interesting as all your examples are, and I have seen and read the articles concerning them, there can be explanations for them. I don't recall what they may be but the shield with the star was a area of the die that was a bit shattered giving the weird star image.

19. Paddy54

Ok then what you are saying is they do exist?They aren't swamp gas or coin jigger's? If the coin has raised medal on the surface it's there. Now how it got there is the question whether at the mint or pmd.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  20. paddyman98

Yes.. I call them coin freaks! But seriously.. a S mintmark half the size of a normal S on a war Nickel clearly minted in Philadelphia.. no chance

21. Paddy54

I disagree totally ! Over the years I have seen things on coins that yes are somewhat unbelievable but that is an "s" and for argument sake most probably not from San fran, but it does not discount the fact mint employees have done things as such before. Both on coinage and paper notes.

loopytoad74 and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted