Nickel - Thin Planchet?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dchjr, Feb 19, 2018.

1. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

The "look" of this coin caught my eye. It looks like it was dipped in acid, but with a shiny surface. I"m not sure how to explain it. I though maybe it was a different metal type so I weighed it. It only weighs 4.5g and is thinner than normal.

Question: Would an acid dipped nickel lose 0.5g of metal and still retain most of its detail? Is 4.5g within tolerance?
    Thanks,
    1976 D Small.JPG 1976 D Nickel Small (3).jpg 1976 D Nickel Small (4).jpg 1976 D Small (2).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't think dipped in acid.. Maybe tumbled around in sand for a very long time. As if sand blasted. Ibhave found Nickels on thw beach similiar to yours. Don't know how long they were buried but surely long enough to have caused the issue in question.

Oldhoopster and dchjr like this.
  4. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Thanks. Did the coins you found have similar loss of weight?

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Your coin suffered some sort of corrosion/acid dip/Sand blasting/Environmental damage. There are too many possibilities to list. Acid exposure will still leave the details.

When a planchet is struck, thre is a lot of metal flow. Even if it was a damaged planchet, the strike would would not leave uniform mushiness and pitting. Acid, on the other hand will. There is even pitting on the edges, which you would not expect to see on a struck coin as it expands under pressure in the collar.

dchjr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted