Nickel roll hunting for the first time

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by man2004, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I love seeing the posts of others on their fun finds!! I saw a few of Heavymetal's clashes and got excited...almost went to the bank to get a box of nickels. But I have too many chores just now, so I think that when it gets cold, I'll start up the CRH events again and start looking for the new gem fun finds. I look forward to seeing a few of your favorites!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I have to tell my nickel story here.....A couple weeks ago, I went to the bank and asked for 4 rolls of nickels. She gave me 4 CWR rolls. I have been looking for a war nickel for my collection. Anyway when I got home and opened them, 3 of the 4 rolls were somebody's collection dump and contained 1970's nickels all in BU condition and all toned! Some very nice rainbow toned too!

nickels.jpg nickel.jpg

4. Kevin Mader

Events like that provide excellent opportunities to upgrade spots in a circulation set! Well done!

CREATIVECRHUNTER likes this.
  5. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I can’t wait to get started now! Thank you everyone! I’m psyched. But, I’ll make a list first as recommended.

CREATIVECRHUNTER likes this.
  6. Beardigger

BTW.....found my first War Nickel tonight while searching my last roll. A 1943 P.
    It's in pretty rough shape......but I was happy to find it!

7. Beardigger

8. DatDareNickelGuy

DatDareNickelGuy Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!! Just wow! Those are absolutely gorgeous! That 75!

Beardigger likes this.
  9. DatDareNickelGuy

DatDareNickelGuy Well-Known Member

Beardigger likes this.
  10. man2004

man2004 Active Member

Congratulations on the war nickel and the other nice finds everyone!

Beardigger likes this.
  11. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

201C9FBF-99EF-48B3-9E53-4A24E403FFCF.jpeg D0541F17-CA8F-4A4F-A930-EE75F709CDFB.jpeg And sometimes you find. Always check both sides

tommyc03 and Kevin Mader like this.
  12. Kevin Mader

That's good advice, Heavymetal. I give it all the time myself...for the same reason.

13. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

If your looking at all dates, I would also include the Henning Nickels; 1939, 1944, 1946, 1947 and 1953.
    After reading this thread, I think order a box tomorrow and see what turns up.

CREATIVECRHUNTER and Kevin Mader like this.
  14. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Didn't know about that one. I guess because 'only' 39 million minted as compared to 200 million plus in other years. Redbook doesn't denote anything special (at least in the 2018 version).

15. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Well I guess I'll zip through the bunches of nickels I have stored. I grabbed bunches of everything when I first started looking through them with intentions of putting together sets for fleabay. Maybe I have them all? I'll report back.

16. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Forgot about those too. Have to look up values, if any.

17. Kevin Mader

Good advice. I sorted a 5-gallon bucket of pre-60 nickels to establish my Roll Set. I keep the rest for future variety hunting. But I did check the 5 dates for Hennings, saving the 1939 for last (and got extremely lucky). I'm glad I didn't cash in the rest of the bucket!!

18. BBQBubba

BBQBubba New Member

Got your list and I'll be checking against that. Thank you Kevin

Kevin Mader likes this.
  19. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Funny thing is that nobody saved coins like the 1971 nickel and now most of them are gone so they're tougher to find than something like a 1939. Where the 1939 was set aside in rolls and bags of BU's the '71 would hardly exist at all if not for mint sets.

A lot of the later date coins are going to be almost nonexistent in XF and AU condition. Since many mint sets are now tarnishing they're going to be tough in Unc as well.

20. Kevin Mader

I’ve observed the same. When building a Jefferson set, finding AU coins before 1960 occurs with regularity. But it took very long to build AU rolls for 70s nickels. Rather hard to do from CRH. But possible.

21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

One of the reasons the 2009 nickel got shorted was so many presses dedicated to the 4 different designs of the Lincoln Cent that year. Both P & D zinc, proof, and four different copper coins. The Mint had it's hands full that year.

Kevin Mader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted