Nickel roll find. The good news and the bad news

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by 71Avalon, Dec 13, 2023.

1. 71Avalon

71Avalon Well-Known Member

I found my first V nickel in a roll the other day...1901 (good) :). Unfortunately, it's in pretty bad shape (not so good). Still, a 120+ year old coin with a little bit of design left is still a keeper to me. He'll go into a 2x2 and join the rest of the nickel family.

IMG_20231213_133318.jpg IMG_20231213_133357.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Still, I’m glad you realize the coin has no redeeming qualities whatsoever…
    …imo…Spark

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Yeah that one is pretty rough.

71Avalon likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Roadkill for sure, but fun find, anyway!

71Avalon likes this.
  6. 71Avalon

Definitely a road kill. But it will always be special to me because I found it in the wild.

Heavymetal and -jeffB like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Agreed! I've never found a V-nick. Only the occasional Buffalo (usually- but not always- dateless).

71Avalon likes this.
  8. 71Avalon

Yeah, I think the reason I found it is because it is so rough. To be honest, even non-collectors would probably keep it because it's different. I think the damage allowed it to go unnoticed until I found it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    -jeffB and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm glad it's ended its journey with you, and not with someone who's going to go straight to YouTube for their RARE MINT ERROR... ;)

NOS and 71Avalon like this.
  10. 71Avalon

LOL yeah. Or try to sell it on eBay or Etsy as "old, rare mint error" for a couple thousand dollars! :hilarious:

11. 71Avalon

I actually found a 1929 Buffalo as well. In pretty decent shape too. This box of nickels so far has been a pretty good one. :)

lordmarcovan and -jeffB like this.
  12. DRayebeorg

DRayebeorg New Member

I found a 2001 black nickel. Can't yet post pics 'cause I'm a newbie. I know about the '58 and '59 Black Beauties and they're the official "Black Beauties." But, there seems to be a number of zinc-clad coins (nickels, dimes, quarters) for which black versions have been found.

I've read that environmental damage can be a reason - heating to 400 degrees, burying - but also overheating during the lamination process for the coin metal may cause the black color prior to minting.

I've heated a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter in the oven at 400 for 30 minutes and the penny turns yellow (it was a zinc penny), and the nickel, dime, and quarter turned iridescent ("rainbow"). Haven't tried burying a nickel, though. I think it may take longer than I'm willing to wait.

But I'm holding on to the nickel for fun.

71Avalon likes this.
  13. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

Really cool to find that roll hunting. But it's for sure had a rough life, wow.

71Avalon likes this.
  14. Pickin and Grinin

You can post Photos at anytime we see first time posters post their coins and then never hear from them again.
    Black beauties are from the annealing process/ they were cooked a little too long. Just a reminder nickels are a solid composition of Copper and nickel, unlike a clad coin which has a copper core and a nickel copper cladding added to both sides like a sandwich.
    The majority of modern black coins is the result of environmental damage.... Soil, fertilizers and hard water will all cause them to go dark toned or black.

71Avalon likes this.
  15. 71Avalon

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  16. Pickin and Grinin

@71Avalon all of the original Black Beauties were dated 58 and 59 from the Philly Mint. This is when they were coined the term. The only one that has labeled them as BB is ANACS. Everyone else labels them what they are and that is Improperly Annealed. These dark Nickels can be found all the way back to 53 in Nickels. But if any coin is left in the annealing process for too long, or too high of temp etc. They are certainly an Imp Annealed coin. And yes they should have all their original luster.

71Avalon and -jeffB like this.
  17. 71Avalon

Yeah you're right now that I think about it. My slab says Improperly Annealed. I always wanted one then one popped up on eBay a couple of years ago so I grabbed it.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted