Nickel error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by PatrickCoinOvice, Nov 30, 2019.

1. PatrickCoinOvice

PatrickCoinOvice New Member

Has anyone seen this before? Can't find info or an example anywhere

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That Nickel has clearly been worn down somehow.
    Not a Mint Error of any kind.

Good that you ask. Welcome to CoinTalk.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Try to spend it

5. PatrickCoinOvice

Why would Jeffersons face and head be the only recognizable features though? They're the highest point on the obverse, if it were worn, you'd think that would be the first to go?
    Not being argumentative btw just tryin to explain what the naked eye can see on this coin.
    Also the edge of this coin is barely scratched up, idk how that is nearly blemish free, but the obverse looks the way it does

6. PatrickCoinOvice

Also on both sides of the coin at the outer edge it tapers off from like a millimeter or so all the way around

7. PatrickCoinOvice

Wish I had my old phone it had a way better camera

Attached Files:

8. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Hey Patrick. I dont know how it could have been worn down exactly but that doesnt happen at the mint. Google "coins worn down by river" and look at the some of the images that come up of ancient coins. Weird but the edges wear down and actually flake apart after time and sometimes the center of the coin stays more intact. On some of the images. Could also be as simple as a bored knucklehead and some sort of sander or power tool too. Who knows.

9. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

On your recent photo....look at the right side of the building. You can see where it looks to be "sanded" or abraided by something in a counter clockwise way.

BTW...IMO, perfectly fine photo!

10. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

I agree it's PMD. People do very strange things with coins. If your knew to numismatics I would've posted as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted